Is it bad I spent £270 on a prom dress?

Watch
eva666
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I saved up the money and bought it myself. I’ve wanted it for a long time and plus I got 50% off the dress so it was originally £500. People keep telling me I’m stupid and it’s making me feel bad but I worked for this money?
Advertisement
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
You're posting this to show off. No, it's fine. Enjoy your prom.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by eva666)
I saved up the money and bought it myself. I’ve wanted it for a long time and plus I got 50% off the dress so it was originally £500. People keep telling me I’m stupid and it’s making me feel bad but I worked for this money?
yes. but it won't seem like a lot of money in 5 years time.
Advertisement
Anonymous #1
Report 11 months ago
Because I said the price of my prom dress I’m showing off now? Who am I going to show off to at the TSR? You’re so sensitive
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
You're posting this to show off. No, it's fine. Enjoy your prom.
cottonsocks18
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
There's nothing wrong with working your way up and buying things that you like. My prom dress i wore 2 years back, was slightly on the expensive side too, but if it makes you happy, that should be all that matters. Have fun at prom x
Advertisement
TCA2b
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Without knowing your personal financial circumstances, it's a rather pointless question. People can think whatever they like about how much you spend on something - it'll likely be based on their own financial situation, so I wouldn't put much weight on it.
username4280702
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Nope. Enjoy prom, you saved up for it yourself. I know someone that spent more than 2,000 £ on a prom dress (in my opinion that's way too far). You could also save it for future occasions where people haven't seen it. It's only "bad" if it came at the serious expense of something else.
Last edited by username4280702; 11 months ago
Advertisement
Anonymous #1
Report 11 months ago
Okay thanks for the response.
(Original post by cottonsocks18)
There's nothing wrong with working your way up and buying things that you like. My prom dress i wore 2 years back, was slightly on the expensive side too, but if it makes you happy, that should be all that matters. Have fun at prom x
Anonymous #1
Report 11 months ago
Yes I know abit pointless but it was upsetting me a bit. I care a lot about what people say and it’s sad
(Original post by TCA2b)
Without knowing your personal financial circumstances, it's a rather pointless question. People can think whatever they like about how much you spend on something - it'll likely be based on their own financial situation, so I wouldn't put much weight on it.
Advertisement
fifi.a
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Well... this comment is pointless as if the og poster doesn't already know. People act like she's assuming proms gonna be for 10 years or something. Answer the post or don't waste time.
Anonymous #2
Report 11 months ago
nah it’s calm but i need to find my one asap what’s the best places to get prom dresses?
Advertisement
fifi.a
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hello, If that is the dress YOU wanted for prom then 100% go for it. All those people judging can't afford a dress like that don't mind them. The fact that you even saved up AND got the dress on a bargain is commendable and such a nice way to know that you worked hard and deserve it. I don't know why some of the commenters here can't read but ignore people who miss the point. I went to my prom in a cheaper dress 1 year ago but trust me there were plenty of girls rocking dresses even higher than £500. Once the day comes you'll see what I mean. and now you'll have a dress for a once in a lifetime moment of your life and also for any future special occasions what's not to like?

Have fun at prom! It seems that your school is putting a lot of effort to make you and everyone else plan ahead so don't let any negativity take away from your moment x
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
if you post a picture of the dress we can decide if it is good value ?

:holmes:
Advertisement
bruhmomento
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
No. You are not stupid. You wanted the dress for a long time and you decided to invest 270 for your happiness. If the investment is causing you some financial stress, you can always sell the dress!
username4355882
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by the bear)

I came to say this ^^
fifi.a
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Don't.
These peoples opinions are as irrelevant as those students acting like they have a say in YOUR life decisions. I would cherrish that dress until the day and start counting down. x

Anonymous #1
Report 11 months ago
It’s this dress:
https://www.alamourthelabel.com/coll...aded-gown-rose
(It was a bit more expensive when I bought it because of exchange rates changing everyday! The dress is in AUD. but it’s beaded and I also have a video of a model wearing it where it looks better

Advertisement
Anonymous #1
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by fifi.a)
Hello, If that is the dress YOU wanted for prom then 100% go for it. All those people judging can't afford a dress like that don't mind them. The fact that you even saved up AND got the dress on a bargain is commendable and such a nice way to know that you worked hard and deserve it. I don't know why some of the commenters here can't read but ignore people who miss the point. I went to my prom in a cheaper dress 1 year ago but trust me there were plenty of girls rocking dresses even higher than £500. Once the day comes you'll see what I mean. and now you'll have a dress for a once in a lifetime moment of your life and also for any future special occasions what's not to like?

Have fun at prom! It seems that your school is putting a lot of effort to make you and everyone else plan ahead so don't let any negativity take away from your moment x
Thanks a lot for the detailed response!! You’re right. Thank you❤️❤️❤️
Anonymous #3
Report 11 months ago
The price of vanity...
kkboyk
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by eva666)
You worked hard for it, and its a genuinely nice dress so I don't see the problem. Besides, you can easily sell it afterwards on depop or any other websites.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (41)
59.42%
No (28)
40.58%

Watched Threads