FictionalMink
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hello, my name is Tom and I'm currently doing my finals in Luxembourg. I've applied for undergraduate courses at the universities of Essex, Sussex and Kent, and I got a bit suspicious when Essex told me in their offer that they'd lower their requirements even more (from 40/60 marks on average to 30/60 on average, which is already lower than the others who ask 46/60 as an average.)

So I wonder if there is a catch concerning Essex University, why would they be so keen on baiting potential new students?

Any Essex students out there who can help me out?

Thanks!
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Once a upon a time I was an Essex student, good university and have no idea why their entry criteria is so low. They are not even badly ranked, so **** knows, perhaps they are strapped for cash. Sussex is a nice county, but for me personally have no interest in living in Brighton, now Kent is glorious because the campus is very nice and Canterbury is just stunning, but his comes at a price.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by FictionalMink)
Hello, my name is Tom and I'm currently doing my finals in Luxembourg. I've applied for undergraduate courses at the universities of Essex, Sussex and Kent, and I got a bit suspicious when Essex told me in their offer that they'd lower their requirements even more (from 40/60 marks on average to 30/60 on average, which is already lower than the others who ask 46/60 as an average.)

So I wonder if there is a catch concerning Essex University, why would they be so keen on baiting potential new students?

Any Essex students out there who can help me out?

Thanks!
yeah Essex is bad do not go there under any circumstances..

Sussex is definitely the best in almost all criteria, but depends on your course.
FictionalMink
Rep:
?
I went for History and Politics.

But now I have two contradicting opinions :y
In what way is Essex so bad?
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I went for History and Politics.

But now I have two contradicting opinions :y
In what way is Essex so bad?
Essex is not a bad university, I have been there. But saying that, Kent is actually pretty good for history, Sussex a little better. Considering those it comes down to whether you want to live on a campus with a nicer City or living within the City of Brighton.
Last edited by random_matt; 6 months ago
DuckDodgers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I went to Kent and briefly attended Sussex for a Master's but left due to... financial reasons (nothing too interesting).

Kent has a nice homely feel as it's on a big sprawling campus. Lots of on-campus activities and generally the University takes pride in ensuring high student satisfaction. The accommodation is good and they've renovated some of their buildings lately (e.g. the library). Largely anywhere you live in 2nd/3rd year will be in walking distance of the University which is super convenient. Canterbury isn't buzzing but it has a lot of pleasant places including pubs, theatres, etc. Does it get boring living there for three years? Sure.

By contrast, Sussex is located in Falmer meaning you will need to get a train/bus to campus every day. You can live in Falmer but I personally wouldn't as there's nothing there. Brighton is obviously a very interesting place to live though so you won't be short of entertainment or culture. That's the main draw of Sussex really because in terms of 'prestige' they're basically the same. I don't like Sussex's campus much as everything feels too flat but it has some nice architecture.

Edit: Sorry, your headline indicates a different question to the one posed in the body of text. I'll leave this up though.
Last edited by DuckDodgers; 6 months ago
FictionalMink
Rep:
?
That's good info on those 2, thanks.

But A Rolling Stone what exactly is bad on essex? Why shouldn't I go there?
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
That's good info on those 2, thanks.

But A Rolling Stone what exactly is bad on essex? Why shouldn't I go there?
look at the league tables and then look around the campus...
nmeechan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
im at Essex atm and love it 🤷🏻*♀️
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Essex
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (20)
6.92%
They might tell the bully (29)
10.03%
I don't think they'd understand (44)
15.22%
It might lead to more bullying (106)
36.68%
There's nothing they could do (90)
31.14%

Watched Threads