The Student Room Group

a level dilemma

(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
So you want to study medicine even though the only subject you’re passionate about is German? And you don’t need 4 A-Levels for medicine at all. This is a common myth, just take 3.
Reply 2
Original post by mpaprika
our school requires 4 at the start and then we could drop one. I should've stated that out of the other subjects left that German is what I'm passionate about

Okay that makes more sense. I’d highly suggest just taking the three A-Levels so just choose the easiest one and drop it when you can.
Ok so I'm taking biology, chemistry, maths and German because I'm interested in medicine. All was good until my school said that they're no longer running German because of..

Brexit!! :mob:

Anyway, they said that I can do it in a different school and I'll have to commute 3 times a week. The school is really far away and I'd have to take the train and the costs would quickly add up.

I do want to take German because it's the one subject I'm really passionate about, and it would be my plan b if I were to fail maths (which will probably happen)

I don't know what to do, should I choose another a level? The subjects I can take instead are physics, politics, geography, psychology or history

which works the best for medicine? I didn't do geography at gcse but I can do it a level if I want but it probably won't go well with everything else.

I could take psychology but it's really underfunded in my school (the only department that isn't is the pe because we had like 3 sporting ''heroes'' and my school is sleeping on its Laurents

I considered applying to another sixth form but my school decided to announce it really late (even though they knew in September!!!) so all the admissions are now over

please help, give me your honest opinion and anything extra you have to say, this was just a bit of a rant

Id double check at the other 6th forms/colleges that offer german to see if you can still get in. Some are still having open days and stuff, especially colleges. You never know, it may not be too late. The worst they can say is no- at least you will have tried.
Otherwise- out of the other subject options, which do you think you will enjoy most/do best in? History is a respected subject, plus its an essay subject which will be a change from your sciency subjects, and i dont think you need to have done it at gcse to do it at a-level (you didnt at my old 6th form anyway).
I do history at gcse so that isn't a problem :smile: I might actually do it because it would balance nicely

Yes, it does balance nicely.
Its good that you are doing it at gcse- at least you have more an idea of the subject.
Id still check to see if you could get in elsewhere that offers german. If not- id do history, and maybe learn german on the side, as an extra curricular or something. Even if you dont get a qualification out of it, its something extra to talk about in personal statements, interviews, job applications etc.
Ok so I'm taking biology, chemistry, maths and German because I'm interested in medicine. All was good until my school said that they're no longer running German because of..

Anyway, they said that I can do it in a different school and I'll have to commute 3 times a week. The school is really far away and I'd have to take the train and the costs would quickly add up.

I do want to take German because it's the one subject I'm really passionate about, and it would be my plan b if I were to fail maths (which will probably happen)

I don't know what to do, should I choose another a level? The subjects I can take instead are physics, politics, geography, psychology or history

which works the best for medicine? I didn't do geography at gcse but I can do it a level if I want but it probably won't go well with everything else.

I could take psychology but it's really underfunded in my school (the only department that isn't is the pe because we had like 3 sporting ''heroes'' and my school is sleeping on its Laurents

I considered applying to another sixth form but my school decided to announce it really late (even though they knew in September!!!) so all the admissions are now over

please help, give me your honest opinion and anything extra you have to say, this was just a bit of a rant

I took the same a - level subjects as you. My commute to school was an hour and I found myself struggling to cope with all 4 of them as German was completely different to bcm and it required a lot of work with the weekly essays, prep for speaking sessions etc
I ended up dropping German at the end of year 12 - focused on year 13 and took a gap year bc why not and got 3 med school offers for London unis
To be honest with you, in medicine, having a 4th subject doesn’t boost your application as they will be looking at bio and Chem more than anything else. As psychology is underfunded at your school it’s likely you’ll struggle as you’ll have to be teaching yourself a lot on top of what you already have to do.
In my opinion, drop German and stick to 3 a - levels you’ll be much better off
Good luck

Why do you blame Brexit for them cancelling German?

You need AAA or better including Chem and Bio ( within 2 years of start) if you want the widest range of schools to choose from. The third A level doesnt matter except it needs to be an A and I would say its better if its moderately academic. the alternatives you suggest are.

If you get good GCSEs you should check other sixth forms.

Maths doesnt sound great if you are worried about an A.

Go and see the other school and do the journey. How long is it?

Make up the case for each option.

Stay: Bio+ Chem +1 other that you cna get an A in with least effort.
Other sixth form= check and visit.
Stay Bio and Chem + commute. Ask your current school whether there arent any closer schools you could do German at?
thank you! The commute will probably take up a lot of my time in the mornings and after school, which is why I'm so worried about it. congratulations on your offers!

That was my problem - having a long commute takes away time which you could’ve spent revising and also makes you feel more tired.
Thanks 😊
Oh no I didn't blame it on Brexit. The school said they aren't running the course because of Brexit. I believe the journey is 20 minutes by train and a bit of a walk. No other schools in the area do German

Sounds like a bogus excuse.

Would it be easier just to go tot he school the runs German and do all your A levels there, then you wont be commuting between the two?

Another option could be 3 A levels at current school and online German as a private candidate?

Tbh 20 mins by train isnt that hard.

You can look up local schools and sixth forms using this link. Look for the ofsted rated 1 and 2 ones. Select a radius from your postcode.
https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/find-a-school-in-england
ooh thank you, that's really useful! :smile: The length of the journey isn't the problem, more of the cost of me commuting, but we'll see

Contact your LEA or ask the school of there are any travel passes available, sometimes there are grants.
okay so i take german a level and first i should warn u it is A LOT of work and a MASSIVE step up from the gcse content. but if you're really passionate about it maybe you should commute?? as having a foreign language under your belt is really worthwhile. if not, i suggest taking a 4th a level that u don't care about that much then dropping it and then spend your spare time teaching yourself more german/attend a german club??? hope it all works out and sorry to hear your school did this it sucks :frown: x

Quick Reply

Latest