What is surface tension in biology?

Watch
foxstudy
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
In reference to the surfactant in an alveolus^
JessNaomi19600
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
So the inside of the alveoli air sacs are coated with a mucus type material known as a surfactant. This creates surface tension and so prevents the sides of the alveoli from sticking together. This allows the alveoli to remain open, maintaining a large surface area to volume ratio, allowing efficient gaseous exchange.

Hope this helps 😊
Last edited by JessNaomi19600; 2 years ago
foxstudy
Rep:
(Original post by JessNaomi19600)
So the inside of the alveoli air sacs are coated with a mucus type material known as a surfactant. This creates surface tension and so prevents the sides of the alveoli from sticking together. This allows the alveoli to remain open, maintaining a large surface area to volume ratio, allowing efficient gaseous exchange.

Hope this helps 😊
When you say it prevents the sides of the alveoli from sticking together, is that the same as stopping the alveoli from collapsing?
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by foxstudy)
When you say it prevents the sides of the alveoli from sticking together, is that the same as stopping the alveoli from collapsing?
Yes correct, young man, if I can answer on behalf of Jess (I am not going to type her whole username as I am a one finger typist), to which you promptly remark: "He has typed even more now!"

Just one correction: although the action of surfactant on the alveoli is highly complex (involves Laplace equations, which might excite our friends the maths nerds! ), one aspect is that it drastically REDUCES surface tension NOT increase it, and that is part of what prevents collapse of alveoli.

(A small medical point to add is that surfactant is formed in the foetal lungs quite late in pregnancy so premature babies can have breathing problems in the form of respiratory distress syndrome due to deficiency of surfactant).

M
foxstudy
Rep:
(Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon)
Yes correct, young man, if I can answer on behalf of Jess (I am not going to type her whole username as I am a one finger typist), to which you promptly remark: "He has typed even more now!"

Just one correction: although the action of surfactant on the alveoli is highly complex (involves Laplace equations, which might excite our friends the maths nerds! ), one aspect is that it drastically REDUCES surface tension NOT increase it, and that is part of what prevents collapse of alveoli.

(A small medical point to add is that surfactant is formed in the foetal lungs quite late in pregnancy so premature babies can have breathing problems in the form of respiratory distress syndrome due to deficiency of surfactant).

M
Thanks for the clarification!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (30)
7.06%
October 2021 (194)
45.65%
November 2021 (44)
10.35%
December 2021 (57)
13.41%
January 2021 (47)
11.06%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (39)
9.18%
Something else (14)
3.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise