extenuating circumstances for my psychology offer at royal holloway Watch

i_am_werecow
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hey, I had a question about my application/offer for the psych degree at Royal Holloway. I'm currently standing a little under my requirements for the offer, but I was wondering if they take extenuating circumstances into consideration. The incident happened during my mock exam period which brought my grade down considerably, and I was wondering if I contacted them, they would either change my conditions or let me accept even if I'm a little under. I'm looking for all and any advice. Thanks
claireestelle
  • Volunteer Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by i_am_werecow)
Hey, I had a question about my application/offer for the psych degree at Royal Holloway. I'm currently standing a little under my requirements for the offer, but I was wondering if they take extenuating circumstances into consideration. The incident happened during my mock exam period which brought my grade down considerably, and I was wondering if I contacted them, they would either change my conditions or let me accept even if I'm a little under. I'm looking for all and any advice. Thanks
Is the incident that's going to be ongoing through the actual exams?
gracewb_93
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you already have an offer I’m not sure how extenuating circumstances will help you. If you show that your predicted grades could have been better then why would the lower your offer requirements as you’re showing you’re likely you will get it.
Imo your best option is to work as hard as possible to secure the slightly higher grades in the real exams
i_am_werecow
Rep:
?
I'm not sure what you mean- but the incident happened right before mock exams(worth 20% of my grade) and has lasting mental health issues related to it.
(Original post by claireestelle)
Is the incident that's going to be ongoing through the actual exams?
i_am_werecow
Rep:
?
that's fair, I'm just anxious about my grades not pulling through- my predicteds were much higher than my grades right now, so I really have to step it up or I'm screwed
(Original post by gracewb_93)
If you already have an offer I’m not sure how extenuating circumstances will help you. If you show that your predicted grades could have been better then why would the lower your offer requirements as you’re showing you’re likely you will get it.
Imo your best option is to work as hard as possible to secure the slightly higher grades in the real exams
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm not sure what you mean- but the incident happened right before mock exams(worth 20% of my grade) and has lasting mental health issues related to it.
are they using that mock as a substitute as you couldn't do your actual exam?
i_am_werecow
Rep:
?
nono, my mocks are in my grades and I have my actual exams soon. If I were to get my grades up enough, it's fine- but if that doesn't happen, I was wondering if that was grounds to be considered as an extenuating circumstance that interfered with my studies!
are they using that mock as a substitute as you couldn't do your actual exam?
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
nono, my mocks are in my grades and I have my actual exams soon. If I were to get my grades up enough, it's fine- but if that doesn't happen, I was wondering if that was grounds to be considered as an extenuating circumstance that interfered with my studies!
it's generally only actual exams that they'll consider them for, extenuating circumstances vary between universities but generally only helps if you don't miss your offer by much.
i_am_werecow
Rep:
?
yeah I'm only 0.5%-ish away so I'm not too worried.... I just wanted to make sure that was something they would take into consideration. Thanks for your help!
it's generally only actual exams that they'll consider them for, extenuating circumstances vary between universities but generally only helps if you don't miss your offer by much.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
yeah I'm only 0.5%-ish away so I'm not too worried.... I just wanted to make sure that was something they would take into consideration. Thanks for your help!
no problem, best of luck for your exams
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As others have said, ECs are more for the actual exams rather than mocks. If the issue is ongoing and you have medical evidence which supports and explains how your issues are impacting your exam performance then there's no reason why they wouldn't accept them.
i_am_werecow
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Thank you for your help!
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
As others have said, ECs are more for the actual exams rather than mocks. If the issue is ongoing and you have medical evidence which supports and explains how your issues are impacting your exam performance then there's no reason why they wouldn't accept them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Jun '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Jun '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (376)
37.49%
No - but I will (76)
7.58%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (480)
47.86%

Watched Threads