The Student Room Group

Stop for a minute and just read this...

It is coming to that time where exams are just creeping around the corner and your stressed out to the point where your hair starts to fall out and then you think to yourself "great! one more thing to worry about". Whether your spending your nights revising for your GCSE's or your A-Levels because if you don't do good in them your life is suddenly over- if it makes you feel any better I think this as well. But don't you think that we are just teenagers, we shouldn't have to go through this. If the nightmare of eductaion wasn't one thing to worry about there are people at every corner you turn into who are now carrying a weapon due to the growing epidemic of knife crime. It is horrific that we as teenagers have to live like this! But then we think about how fortunate we are that we have food on our table and a roof over our head because there are people our age and even people younger who have never experienced the luxury that we are not near grateful for which is what we call home. But this is becoming a Ted Talk and that's not what this is supposed to be. I want to start this chat and make it a safe place where you can talk and express yourselves just for five minutes because we are way to stressed and we deserve a break. I want this to be a place where you can express whatever that may be holding you back or bringing you pain because this is a non-judgmental , all positive environment because in this hate- dominated society we all need a bit of kindness so be free to talk about anything or everything...
I think I`m dying mate.
Original post by ilostmyheads
I think I`m dying mate.

:lol:

OP's got a point though, ngl. A good one too.
Reply 3
Original post by ilostmyheads
I think I`m dying mate.

im dying under the pressure of society
This is exactly what I mean, society have got us wrapped in their rules that we didn't even create. We have to follow something that actually holds no significance to our life but it's something that we have to follow through with and if we don't we are unacceptable to society! We are so scared about saying or doing something wrong within the eyes of society that we are getting so stressed to the point where teenagers are taking their own lives. This brings me to the purpose of my message, we need to take some time out of our lives to forget about societies expectations for a minute and just live how we want to on our own terms because that is what will bring us true happiness!
Original post by Caitxo
im dying under the pressure of society
Boy.. If only it was as easy as making videos online or something over stupid **** and getting massively famous, or gettting large sums of money over lip synching videos and irrelevant dance videos. But alas some are not as genetically gifted or mummy and daddy haven`t inherited large sums of money.
Its sad that people who save lives get paid less than shmucks like that.
Reply 6
School is so stressful but I know I should stay positive because I know it'll go by fast! Always look on the bright side.
:smile:
:tongue:
I mean even if we don't get what we want, there are always other options.
We should work hard, but not let a couple of letters/numbers on a piece of paper define our future.
The education system needs to be seriously changed. Not everyone (and certainly not me) has a brain that can remember countless pieces of information and spit it all out in an exam. It's a joke. People commit suicide over this stuff- and its not as if no ones seeing it, its in the news and articles etc.
Reply 8
I always prepare for exams, but I worry about the result. I accept any option, something can be fixed, and if not, then do not worry.
Reply 9
Why do you all feel so stressed? Is it parental pressure or something? Society largely doesn't give two hoots about you passing some exams. I don't understand, I have only actually worried about one exam in my life, and I was 25 when I sat it :laugh:
Lovely thread.
Original post by gjd800
Why do you all feel so stressed? Is it parental pressure or something? Society largely doesn't give two hoots about you passing some exams. I don't understand, I have only actually worried about one exam in my life, and I was 25 when I sat it :laugh:

I mean it is a large social expectation to go to uni which requires the passing of exams. Growing up in the education system you feel pressure to do well. Can be from parental pressure, peer pressure, pressure from teachers and societal pressure *shrug*
Reply 12
Original post by RhiaHargx
I mean it is a large social expectation to go to uni which requires the passing of exams. Growing up in the education system you feel pressure to do well. Can be from parental pressure, peer pressure, pressure from teachers and societal pressure *shrug*

I dunno, I never felt that pressure at all. But then I'm not known for giving a shite about what is expected of me.

Not disputing that these pressures are felt, by the way. But it is a relatively modern concern and I am interested in why so many younguns seem to buckle under the weight of it instead of just jibbing it and doing their own thing.
Reply 13
someone tldr this
Original post by gjd800
I dunno, I never felt that pressure at all. But then I'm not known for giving a shite about what is expected of me.

Not disputing that these pressures are felt, by the way. But it is a relatively modern concern and I am interested in why so many younguns seem to buckle under the weight of it instead of just jibbing it and doing their own thing.

Lucky lad. It really just depends on the aspirations that one has. I’m sure someone who aspired to be a youtuber would feel much more relaxed in general as they wouldn’t have to worry about exams. Then say for someone who would like to be an aerospace engineer theres apprenticeships, abundances of learning, ucas applications, work exp, exam grades. Personally, I’d rather deal with the stress as long as I get to where I want to be in the end.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by RhiaHargx
Lucky lad. It really just depends on the aspirations that one has. I’m sure someone who aspired to be a youtube would feel much more relaxed in general as they wouldn’t have to worry about exams. Then say for someone who would like to be an engineer theres apprenticeships, abundances of learning, ucas applications, work exp, exam grades. Personally, I’d rather deal with the stress as long as I get to where I want to be in the end.

Commendable. But if you want to be an engineer and you recognise the slog that comes with that, then you can't really look to the system as pointless or arbitrary like OP does, and you certainly can't point to society etc as the arbiters of how tough your path is.
Original post by gjd800
But if you want to be an engineer and you recognise the slog that comes with that, then you can't really look to the system as pointless or arbitrary like OP does, and you certainly can't point to society etc as the arbiters of how tough your path is.

Oh yeahh, I definitely agree.

Quick Reply

Latest