Ways to learn alot of verbs in all tenses

Watch this thread
ellesbelles465
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I want to do A level French and i am about to do my French GCSE. However i urgently need to learn lots of verbs in both regular and irregular forms, i have tried to do this but it is just not sticking in my head can someone give me any advice on learning the QUICKLY.
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ellesbelles465)
I want to do A level French and i am about to do my French GCSE. However i urgently need to learn lots of verbs in both regular and irregular forms, i have tried to do this but it is just not sticking in my head can someone give me any advice on learning the QUICKLY.
You need to work on patterns rather than just learning verbs off by heart. Apart from your regular verbs (which fall into three groups) there are about 20-odd irregular verbs which will provide you with the patterns you need for most irregular verbs. It's not as much of a mountain as it might seem if you go about it the right way.

For example, once you know the present tense well you won't need to learn the imperfect separately, as the imperfect is based on the nous form of the present (the only one exception being être). Ditto with the future and the conditional. And once you know the passé composé properly, learning the other compound tenses is a doddle.

I recommend you get hold of this grammar book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Gram.../dp/095706120X and work your way through the section on conjugation, just looking at the tenses you need to know for GCSE for now. It will be a really useful reference book for A level grammar so you won't regret the purchase, I can promise you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (19)
21.59%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.5%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.68%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.05%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (19)
21.59%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
21.59%

Watched Threads