The Student Room Group

Studied finance but not sure this is the field for me

Hey all, I have some questions wandering around my mind and would love to hear your opinions/advice and thoughts on my situation which I have described below.

I’m 24, studied a Bachelor in Business Economics and a Masters in Economics, Finance and Banking. For the past 10 months I have been working as an Accounts Assistant in Accounts Payable team in a small/medium-sized company. In general, the people and the atmosphere are lovely there, I am used to the work and I can say that I am feeling comfortable.
This job is entry-level so it’s more admin than accountancy, however, it will eventually lead me into an accountancy career. And from what I am getting exposed to, it seems boring and I cannot really see a purpose in accounting as a profession - looks like a very repetitive job the core of which is calculations or even more simply- numbers. It feels like I would be devoting 90% of my daytime to staring at a screen of countless excel sheets opened in front of me, which would lead to tiredness and no satisfaction of the work done at all.

When I think back, ever since I was at school I was better in and enjoyed more writing and languages rather than numerical subjects. I never enjoyed solving math problems and never felt I was good at that. With this in mind, I figured for myself that what I am passionate about is stuff like: helping people by giving advice/travelling/time-scaled work/work-life balance/languages/writing. But it turns out that in the field I studies, every job advert has the requirement to “be passionate for numbers”.

So I’m in a bit of a dilemma on things like: Shall I try getting another finance-related job which will involve numbers/calcs if I don’t like dealing with them and will I even enjoy my job in such a case? What positions are available out there in which I will be able to utilise my degree and enjoy what I do based on my interests/strengths? Do I necessarily need accountancy experience or knowledge in order to excel in other areas in finance?
Any suggestions which will help me answer my questions will be highly appreciated. Thanks 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending