how to differentiate sensory and relay neurone from structure ?

Watch this thread
Leah.J
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
They look the same to me. Maybe in the sensory the axon is shorter ?
sefo9072
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
For the sensory the cell body is in the middle but for the relay it’s on the side Name:  A63AB1A9-ADF1-4210-8050-5DF4D30771ED.jpg.jpeg
Views: 32
Size:  14.5 KBName:  01171C30-266D-4CBF-94D3-22B454146EC2.jpg.jpeg
Views: 118
Size:  26.8 KB
MKaur18
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Leah.J)
They look the same to me. Maybe in the sensory the axon is shorter ?
Have a look at the two structures with images.
Sensory neurones - have long dendrites and short axons.
Whereas, relay neurones have short dendrites, but they can have short/long axons.
Leah.J
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Name:  Screenshot (34).png
Views: 42
Size:  41.7 KB It looks different in my book
(Original post by sefo9072)
For the sensory the cell body is in the middle but for the relay it’s on the side Name:  A63AB1A9-ADF1-4210-8050-5DF4D30771ED.jpg.jpeg
Views: 32
Size:  14.5 KBName:  01171C30-266D-4CBF-94D3-22B454146EC2.jpg.jpeg
Views: 118
Size:  26.8 KB
Attached files
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hi,
Neurones can be classified by their shape and structure into:
A) Unipolar - with the cell body at one end with multiple short dendrites and an axon.
B) Bipolar - with the cell body near the middle and axons either side.
C) Multipolar - with a star-like structure: cell body centrally with dendrites [and an axon] all around.
D) Pseudounipolar (Greek pseudo = false, as in pseudopodia of amoeba = false feet) - cell body near middle but with very short axon that branches into two going in opposite directions, so like a very short and wide letter "T", with the cell body at the bottom of the vertical arm of the "T" (the cell body almost appears displaced to one side).

Most sensory (also called afferent = going inwards i.e. impulses transmitted towards the brain/spinal cord [CNS] - motor neurones are called efferent neurones = outward) neurons are of the unipolar or pseudounipolar type, BUT those of the special senses are of the bipolar type e.g. the bipolar cells in the inner nuclear layer of the retina (don't need to know this unless you take up optometry at uni), AND the multipolar ganglion cells of the retina.

Since the Q posed by OP is to do with the reflex arc via the spinal cord, the answer is "yes" cos the sensory neurones here are of the pseudounipolar type - actually you can see the cell body to one side in your pic directly above this post. Keep an eye out as I am going to upload an extra pic in a sec, which might makes things a bit easier.

M
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Leah.J
Here it is.
Name:  IMG_20190331_212859.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  125.4 KB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (40)
26.85%
As I expected (47)
31.54%
Harder (55)
36.91%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.7%

Watched Threads