Clueless about dissertation topic....

Watch this thread
whatarethis
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,
there isn't really much point to this I just wondered if anyone is in the same boat. I am currently in second year studying Agriculture and Livestock Science and I am at the point where I need to submit my dissertation topic.
I have to give a rough idea by next week and a full plan and justification by June but I haven't got any idea where to start

I feel like I don't know enough about anything to be able to come up with something that is worth researching, and I am just completely lost and stressed.
I have emailed my course director and various lecturers but so far that has been of no help whatsoever.

Any ideas who I could speak to to try and get some idea what is currently happening....I don't think i'm cut out for this dissertation life...
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
What have your lecturers said? You need to have some idea of what you are interested in and need to come up with a proposal in collaboration with a potential supervisor.
(Original post by whatarethis)
Hi,
there isn't really much point to this I just wondered if anyone is in the same boat. I am currently in second year studying Agriculture and Livestock Science and I am at the point where I need to submit my dissertation topic.
I have to give a rough idea by next week and a full plan and justification by June but I haven't got any idea where to start

I feel like I don't know enough about anything to be able to come up with something that is worth researching, and I am just completely lost and stressed.
I have emailed my course director and various lecturers but so far that has been of no help whatsoever.

Any ideas who I could speak to to try and get some idea what is currently happening....I don't think i'm cut out for this dissertation life...
Samsam2019
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I've achieved distinction on my dissertations at both undergraduate level and master's level at SOAS and LSE respectively in management and development studies and this is how I started thinking about both topics.

Try this as a starting point:

1. Pick something you find interesting as writing 10,000 words on something you dislike is mind numbing. For example, you may ask yourself: You know what, I wonder if Kenyan farmers buy the right tools for agriculture and then you could expand this to a wider topic such as Agricultural technological advancement in East Africa (Please note I am not an expert in agriculture or East Africa, just giving a rough idea) or a study of what medicines are given to cattle to increase yield etc etc.

2. Go through your module list and pick out theory areas that you have looked at. For example, there may be a theory branch looking at the best investments in technology to develop farms as quick as possible and have many case studies in Europe but very few in East Africa

3. Don't be afraid to email experts that are in other universities or professionals (I developed my master's topic by talking to someone who was a development expert and not in university).

4. As for how you can do it, you could maybe contrast and compare agricultural yield data for areas that have adopted this technology (could even do a multi country study over time to show that wait yes Kenya invested in this specific tool and their yield has gone up). You can compare this against european countries to find out whjether this makes a difference.

4. Then make recommendations for investment based on whether the technology has had a positive effect or not.

The above is not a topic you should seriously consider and the details are far from precise, but I wrote this as more of a guide for a thinking process you can adopt to give you a rough idea of how to start thinking of your disso,

P.s. This is really rushed as I have to run out, but please DM me if you need any more help.
(Original post by whatarethis)
Hi,

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (223)
42.31%
The paper was reasonable (226)
42.88%
Not feeling great about that exam... (48)
9.11%
It was TERRIBLE (30)
5.69%

Watched Threads