The Student Room Group

University appeal?

I applied to 4 universities before the deadline and I heard form 3 of them but not the other. I chased up admissions and they finally got back to me to say my application didn’t come through from ucas but they’ve found it and assessing it. When I emailed ucas though they said there had been no problem with sending it through and the uni haven’t complained about any issues their end.
Then another 3 weeks went by and I still hadn’t heard. (My course you need an interview for). I decided to ring admissions because I still hadn’t heard anything and it was cutting it fine to have an interview. They couldn’t find my application again over the phone. Finally after being on hold for 10 minutes she found it and said they were still assessing it. 20 minutes later I got a rejection through. My course is highly competitive but I don’t feel like they even looked at my application. Do I have the grounds to appeal this decision or not?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Ap.baker18
I applied to 4 universities before the deadline and I heard form 3 of them but not the other. I chased up admissions and they finally got back to me to say my application didn’t come through from ucas but they’ve found it and assessing it. When I emailed ucas though they said there had been no problem with sending it through and the uni haven’t complained about any issues their end.
Then another 3 weeks went by and I still hadn’t heard. (My course you need an interview for). I decided to ring admissions because I still hadn’t heard anything and it was cutting it fine to have an interview. They couldn’t find my application again over the phone. Finally after being on hold for 10 minutes she found it and said they were still assessing it. 20 minutes later I got a rejection through. My course is highly competitive but I don’t feel like they even looked at my application. Do I have the grounds to appeal this decision or not?

Yes you should appeal. If nothing else for the customer service rather than the rejection.
You cna claim you feel you were prejudiced, but tbh what if they considered it 3 weeks ago, but had just been slow in getting back to you?

Was this medicine?
Reply 2
No it was midwifery.

Yeah if they rejected me just on the fact that there were others more suited then I would have been fine with it, but they lost it which made it an unfair advantage because by that point there would have been hardly any spaces left.

When I rang she could not find my application at all I gave her my ucas number then she asked what name it was under then put me on hold to try and find it.
Original post by 999tigger
Yes you should appeal. If nothing else for the customer service rather than the rejection.
You cna claim you feel you were prejudiced, but tbh what if they considered it 3 weeks ago, but had just been slow in getting back to you?

Was this medicine?
Reply 3
Yes I have all the emails from them and ucas customer service team as well. How did you go about appealing the rejection?
Original post by Lunaryst
Definitely appeal.

I went to a top Russell group uni and I appealed my rejection because they refused to help me access their online application system and I missed a deadline they had sent along with other documents they needed to assess my application. Long story short, I got rejected from the Appeal saying I had no grounds for it. I then added more proof (emails from them etc..) and went for a 2nd Stage Appeal to prove the first appeal wasn't looked at properly and was simply "glanced over". I won the 2nd stage appeal and got an offer.

If you have proof of your claim such as emails etc.. then use it all. Its worth trying instead of wondering 'what if?'.
Original post by Ap.baker18
No it was midwifery.

Yeah if they rejected me just on the fact that there were others more suited then I would have been fine with it, but they lost it which made it an unfair advantage because by that point there would have been hardly any spaces left.

When I rang she could not find my application at all I gave her my ucas number then she asked what name it was under then put me on hold to try and find it.

It will be on their website under complaints. The advantage of a formal appeal is that someone independent has to review it. The disadvantage with your situation is its unclear what they have done wrong other than losing your application. It depends what admissions had done and whether she had lost it herself or whether the decision had already been made i.e who messed up and what was the effect? department or admissions?

You may have been treated unfairly and not given due consideration or you may have. PM the name of the uni to luna and they can send you the link back to the procedure. If theres something you dont understand then feel free to post of pm me.
Reply 5
Hi how did you get on with this, im in the same boat I waited 4 and half month I rang them and they couldn't find mine either.
I got a rejection email 5 minutes later, the course I have applied for is competetive to (Social Work) did you appeal?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending