Channel 4 apologises for Jon Snow's "white people" remark Watch

kazzykat95
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8847211.html
Personally I don't think he really meant to cause offence; a comment like that could really potentially damage his career and I don't think he'd want to risk it.
Megxn0
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Idk how that’s offensive
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Megxn0)
Idk how that’s offensive
The implication is that a movement has less credibility, if it has a higher percentage of white people in it. Which is racist.
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What's the racist implication? At a stretch he's dismissing the people's opinions because they aren't representative of the city's demographic (as Channel 4 claimed), but that inference is actually down to the viewer, and their perception of white people and their perception of society's attitude towards white people.

Even so, if he believes it to be true then that's fine for him to say. Perhaps it was unprofessional for him to state such a subjective observation on the news, but it's not offensive. If someone reports on community leaders at a church or mosque or synagogue on their respective holy days and remarks "I've never seen so many Christians/Muslims/Jews", that doesn't make them Christianphobes (or whatever the term is)/Islamophobes/antisemitic. A banal observation that isn't necessary on the news, but not offensive.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Jebedee)
The implication is that a movement has less credibility, if it has a higher percentage of white people in it. Which is racist.
I think it was just an observation that the Leave camp is essentially populated by xenophobic Little Englanders.

In other news, BBC's religion correspondent apologises for calling the Pope "a Catholic".
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
"It has been the most extraordinary day. A day which has seen … I’ve never seen so many unwoke people in one place....
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It was an odd thing to say, especially considering the vast majority of the population is white.
DarthRoar
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
"never seen so many white people in one place" pfft how's that even offensive

"never seen so many black people in one place" OMG WTF EXTREME RACISM MUST RUIN CAREER
Jebedee
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
I think it was just an observation that the Leave camp is essentially populated by xenophobic Little Englanders.

In other news, BBC's religion correspondent apologises for calling the Pope "a Catholic".
So white = xenophobe

Am I understanding you correctly?
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
So white = xenophobe

Am I understanding you correctly?
No. Leave = xenophobe. (I'm generalising, obviously. Not every Leave voter is a xenophobe)
username3883544
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
He made a valid point but I think not in the best way. There are many places which had a substantial Leave vote and a significant proportion of people from ethnic minorities, and I am sure not all Leave voters were white. UKIP made a point of noting the members of their party that were from ethnic minorities, and the Conservative Party has long had members of Indian heritage in particular. So why were none or very few people from ethnic minorities there- could it have been fear from some of those there who have views similar to Stephen Yaxley-Lennon?
Jebedee
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
No. Leave = xenophobe. (I'm generalising, obviously. Not every Leave voter is a xenophobe)
A patently false generalisation, but putting that aside for a second. Why is their race relevant?
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
A patently false generalisation, but putting that aside for a second. Why is their race relevant?
I didn't say it was. It's probably just coincidence.
jameswhughes
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by kazzykat95)
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8847211.html
Personally I don't think he really meant to cause offence; a comment like that could really potentially damage his career and I don't think he'd want to risk it.
He's just trying to be trendy, if you don't know what to say then you can blame it on whites/Tories/Jews these days.
Jebedee
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
I don't think it was a coincidence. Neither do I understand how being white = little englander.
DrMikeHuntHertz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
If you're having to insult the opposition it means you've lost the argument (and the referendum )
namkeen-kuthi
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Who else would you expect at a probrexit rally :confused:
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don't think it was a coincidence. Neither do I understand how being white = little englander.
No, I meant that it was probably just coincidence that there were so many white folks attending a far-right rally protesting against foreigners.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DrMikeHuntHertz)
If you're having to insult the opposition it means you've lost the argument (and the referendum )
I wasn't insulting anyone. I thought they took pride in those labels. Why else would they behave like that?
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
No, I meant that it was probably just coincidence that there were so many white folks attending a far-right rally protesting against foreigners.
Are you saying Brexit is far right?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (224)
39.23%
No - but I will (40)
7.01%
No - I don't want to (39)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (268)
46.94%

Watched Threads