The Student Room Group

Channel 4 apologises for Jon Snow's "white people" remark

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QE2
There were many. Some predicted a Remain win, others a Leave win.
In the 2 weeks before the vote the polls were fairly evenly split between the two, with a range of about +6% to -6%.
Overall, pretty inconclusive but a slight trend towards Leave.

Polls simply don't reach all people. When will lefties stop putting all of their faith in polls when they couldn't be more wrong than in recent years.
Reply 101
Original post by Jebedee
Polls simply don't reach all people.

They don't need to when properly carried out.

When will lefties stop putting all of their faith in polls

Opinion polls are generally reasonably accurate within their set margin of error. It is a multi-million dollar industry worldwide, used in a variety of fields. If it was regularly wrong, businesses, governments, political parties (left and right), etc wouldn't spend all those millions on it every year.

when they couldn't be more wrong than in recent years.

Did you not look at the graph in the post you replied to? It pretty much illustrates what happened.
😀😀
Original post by Jebedee
The implication is that a movement has less credibility, if it has a higher percentage of white people in it. Which is racist

Original post by QE2
I think it was just an observation that the Leave camp is essentially populated by xenophobic Little Englanders.

In other news, BBC's religion correspondent apologises for calling the Pope "a Catholic".
Original post by Megxn0
Idk how that’s offensive

It makes the Brexiteers look like a white nationalist movement.

Perhaps they are.

Perhaps Brexit is white nationalism in disguise.
Original post by UKUser2001
That isn't offensive. He just made a joke. What is the big deal?

Because he is agitating people, it will create anger and hostility. He is turning the Brexit debate into an ethnic debate.

It will cause aggression and arguing.
Original post by Nalk1573
Because he is agitating people, it will create anger and hostility. He is turning the Brexit debate into an ethnic debate.

It will cause aggression and arguing.

No it won’t. It will only cause aggression if the people want it to.
Reply 106
Original post by Nalk1573
Perhaps Brexit is white nationalism in disguise.

Not all Brexit supporters are white nationalists, but all white nationalists are Brexit supporters.
Original post by QE2
Not all Brexit supporters are white nationalists, but all white nationalists are Brexit supporters.

You're just taking the characteristic of a sub-group and applying it to a group as a whole. Completely pointless statement.

Not all even numbers end in two, but the ones that do end in a two are even numbers. See?
Original post by QE2
Don't believe it.

can't be arsed to argue, any political opinion you or me has is insignificant in the bigger picture anyhow, I was just pointing out that it was a majority, not arguing whether the uk should go through with brexit or not or whether im leave or remain.
Reply 109
Original post by Jebedee
You're just taking the characteristic of a sub-group and applying it to a group as a whole. Completely pointless statement.

Not all even numbers end in two, but the ones that do end in a two are even numbers. See?

So you agree with my statement - which logically demonstrates that White Nationalists are attracted to the arguments of the Leave campaign rather than Remain.

It may or may not be relevant to anything - but regardless, I wouldn't want to be associated with a position that white nationalists, as well as other racists and xenophobes, find attractive.
Original post by QE2
So you agree with my statement - which logically demonstrates that White Nationalists are attracted to the arguments of the Leave campaign rather than Remain.

It may or may not be relevant to anything - but regardless, I wouldn't want to be associated with a position that white nationalists, as well as other racists and xenophobes, find attractive.

If you acknowledge it isn't relevant then why does it matter if you share that trait with white nationalists or xenophobes?

This firstly brings us to the obvious retort "Well you had better stop drinking water then" , a favoured beverage or Hitler. Secondly, Stalin would have supported remain, so by your logic that aligns you with an even worse despot dictator.

Or maybe you can just stop making silly virtue signally statements that fall apart under the slightest of scrutiny.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by QE2

For the supposedly kind/tolerant/progressive/educated side, it's funny that it's always remainers who are first to start dividing people up based on their race, age, education etc.
Reply 112
Original post by Jebedee
If you acknowledge it isn't relevant then why does it matter if you share that trait with white nationalists or xenophobes?

This firstly brings us to the obvious retort "Well you had better stop drinking water then" , a favoured beverage or Hitler. Secondly, Stalin would have supported remain, so by your logic that aligns you with an even worse despot dictator.

Or maybe you can just stop making silly virtue signally statements that fall apart under the slightest of scrutiny.

Taking an ideological position isn't, in any way, similar to drinking water.

Why would Stalin have voted Remain?
Reply 113
Original post by jameswhughes
For the supposedly kind/tolerant/progressive/educated side, it's funny that it's always remainers who are first to start dividing people up based on their race, age, education etc.

I have no idea what you are talking about and neither, I suspect, do you.
However, I am happy to listen to your attempted explanation.
Original post by QE2
I have no idea what you are talking about and neither, I suspect, do you.
However, I am happy to listen to your attempted explanation.

Where's your evidence that leave is about white nationalism?

There's only one side that's bringing race into Brexit.
Reply 115
Original post by jameswhughes
Where's your evidence that leave is about white nationalism?

I didn't claim it was. Read my posts again.

There's only one side that's bringing race into Brexit.

Yes, the Leave campaign pandering to some people's opposition to immigration.
Here's an analogy that might help you understand - calling someone who is shouting "Pakis go home" racist isn't "bringing race into it" - it was already there.
Original post by QE2
Taking an ideological position isn't, in any way, similar to drinking water.

Why would Stalin have voted Remain?

It is as irrelevant as someone's leave motivations are to white nationalism. Surely you can admit that some people make the right decisions for the wrong reasons and the wrong decisions for the right reasons.

Why would the biggest left wing despot vote in favour of the biggest left wing force in Europe?
Reply 117
Original post by Jebedee
It is as irrelevant as someone's leave motivations are to white nationalism.

Wrong. White nationalists would naturally be attracted to a binary choice which discouraged rather than encouraged immigration. I'm puzzled as to why this needs explaining.

Surely you can admit that some people make the right decisions for the wrong reasons and the wrong decisions for the right reasons.

I have never argued either for or against this.

Why would the biggest left wing despot vote in favour of the biggest left wing force in Europe?

Neither of those claims are necessarily accurate. Which areas of EU membership do you think would have appealed to Stalin, and why do you think he would have wanted to abrogate some of his powers to an external authority?
Original post by QE2
Wrong. White nationalists would naturally be attracted to a binary choice which discouraged rather than encouraged immigration. I'm puzzled as to why this needs explaining.

I have never argued either for or against this.

Neither of those claims are necessarily accurate. Which areas of EU membership do you think would have appealed to Stalin, and why do you think he would have wanted to abrogate some of his powers to an external authority?

Original post by QE2

I am sure there is probably a mass murderer, a rapist and a pedophile that all vote for what every party you vote for and who support the EU. Guess that means you should no longer support the EU.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 119
Original post by AperfectBalance
I am sure there is probably a mass murderer, a rapist and a pedophile that all vote for what every party you vote for and who support the EU. Guess that means you should no longer support the EU.

You seem confused.
If murdering rapist pedophiles voted for a party because that party promoted values that specifically appealed to murdering rapist pedophiles, like relaxing gun controls, making it legal to have sex with incapable women and lowering the age of consent to 12, then I would indeed be unlikely to vote for that party.
However, a MRP may vote for a party that is pro-EU but they wouldn't be doing it because they are a MRP if they do not promote muder, rape and pedophile interests

White nationalists are generally pro-Leave because Leave is explicitly in favour of policies that are favoured by white nationalists on the grounds of their white nationalism position.

Unless there in something in the nature of the EU that is beneficial or attractive to a murdering rapist pedophile, then their support for it is irrelevant.
Leave is explicitly anti-immigration. White nationalists are explicitly anti-immigration. See the connection?
The EU is explicitly anti-murder, rape and pedophilia. MRPs are explicitly pro-murder, rape and pedophilia. See the lack of connection?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending