Degree with foundation year but Year 1 entry

Watch
vferreira
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi there,

I am at the moment finishing my foundation year in Biological Sciences Extended Degree, 4year course, in London Met.

As I am planning to change university, I made my application to study Biological Sciences with Foundation Year at Westminster University. They offered me a 3year course in Biological Sciences, instead of the 4year course.

As my Student Finance situation only allows me to change to the same course with the same years, in order to get the funding for the remaining course, I call them to ask some information and was told to me that I could not migrate to year 1 of the 4year course...they could only offer me a place on a 3year course of Biological Sciences, due have completed level 3, or foundation year.

Is not usual universities offer you equivalencies? Because actually only notice now that Westminster has more offer for the modules or career I would like.

Many thanks for your time
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you would have already completed a foundation year, there is no point in completing another one. The university have offered you entry at the point they feel is most appropriate to you.

A foundation year is a separate course (even if it's included in a degree title with automatic progression) and is usually referred to as Year 0. Westminster can't offer you a place on the course with a foundation year, as you won't be doing it!

I think for funding reasons you want this year to be called year 2, but that won't happen at any university.

I think the best thing to do would be to speak to whoever is funding you and explain the situation and see what they say.
vferreira
Rep:
?
Ok! I kind of understand...

SFE is funding my studies and several advisers told me this...only can change university if it has the same years of course as the one I am in at the moment, and if I was granted the continuation of my studies...so would be year 1.

Any ideas how to go around it?

I know some Uni's accept this right?
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vferreira)
Ok! I kind of understand...

SFE is funding my studies and several advisers told me this...only can change university if it has the same years of course as the one I am in at the moment, and if I was granted the continuation of my studies...so would be year 1.

Any ideas how to go around it?

I know some Uni's accept this right?
Who told you that about SFE? the rules always used to be that they would fund the length of your course + 1 extra year, so a three year course plus a foundation year is fine.

Plenty of people drop out and reapply for different courses and still get full funding.

The issue with transferring might be if e.g. you wanted to transfer two years in to repeat your second year- which wouldn't usually be allowed if you've already done a foundation year.

But if you're going from a foundation year at one uni to do an undergrad somewhere else, that's totally normal and you'd get full SFE funding, unless you've already used up your "+1" extra year.
vferreira
Rep:
?
Yes! Also that is the case! I've already used my +1 year when first started Tourism course. I decided last year to change to Biological Sciences without knowing how the rules work. So this year if want to carry on studying something I would like I need to follow what I mention above.

At the moment I have 2 years previous studies. Last year I changed to the actual 4year Biological Sciences, so that's why according to rules, they only fund me 2 more years if I take a 3year course!!! Only if I move to another 4year biological science course and my entry would be year 1 (not year 0 or foundation!).

I know I got it all wrong as didn't understood how the system works.

So, as they told me, that's why I was asking to Westminster how they couldn't accept me, or if it is unusual this kind of cases.
Last edited by vferreira; 1 year ago
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vferreira)
Yes! Also that is the case! I've already used my +1 year when first started Tourism course. I decided last year to change to Biological Sciences without knowing how the rules work. So this year if want to carry on studying something I would like I need to follow what I mention above.

At the moment I have 2 years previous studies. Last year I changed to the actual 4year Biological Sciences, so that's why according to rules, they only fund me 2 more years if I take a 3year course!!! Only if I move to another 4year biological science course and my entry would be year 1 (not year 0 or foundation!).

I know I got it all wrong as didn't understood how the system works.

So, as they told me, that's why I was asking to Westminster how they couldn't accept me, or if it is unusual this kind of cases.
Ah, I see.

I think the best thing to do would be to contact Westminster and outline the above for them very clearly. If they aren't aware of the situation, then they probably won't understand why you need a very specific offer.

It may be as a uni they don't class the course as 4 years (because progression is not automatic or something like that) but it may be that if they fully understand the funding situation, they will be able to help.

Many unis see a foundation year as a completely separate course, which will be why they've offered you the three year course.
vferreira
Rep:
?
Yes definitely, I am doing that and hoping this is not an issue.

Many thanks for your time and explanations!

(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Ah, I see.

I think the best thing to do would be to contact Westminster and outline the above for them very clearly. If they aren't aware of the situation, then they probably won't understand why you need a very specific offer.

It may be as a uni they don't class the course as 4 years (because progression is not automatic or something like that) but it may be that if they fully understand the funding situation, they will be able to help.

Many unis see a foundation year as a completely separate course, which will be why they've offered you the three year course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (518)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.33%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.34%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.56%

Watched Threads