Amines help please!! Watch

anactualmess
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
"Amine F can be prepared in a three-step synthesis starting from methylbenzene. Suggest the structures of the two intermediate compounds. For each step, give reagents and conditions only. Equations and mechanisms are not required. [5marks]"

So I looked at this question and thought it would be about making phenyl amine from benzene, so thought it was to do with the process of going from benzene to nitrobenzene to phenyl amine. However, the mark scheme states something completely different and I don't understand it at all:

"Intermediate compounds
Product of step 1 C6H5CH2Cl1
Product of step 2 C6H5CH2CN
Reagents/conditions
Step 1
Cl2& UV
Step 2
KCN alcoholic & aq (both reqd)
Step 3H2 / Ni or Ptor Pd"

Can someone please explain
Mr.noname
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
1.) Free Radical Substitution of methyl Benzene with a halogen (chlorine)
2.)Nucleophilic Substitution of Halogenoalkane
3.) Catalytic Hydrogenation/ Reduction of a nitrile
The questions says "starting from methylbenzene " so you cannot start with Benzene. Also your answer is 2 step where as the question specifies 3 steps.
Hope this helps
Themysticalegg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Am I the only one that read this as anime..
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Idrissian
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Themysticalegg)
Am I the only one that read this as anime..
yes
anactualmess
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr.noname)
1.) Free Radical Substitution of methyl Benzene with a halogen (chlorine)
2.)Nucleophilic Substitution of Halogenoalkane
3.) Catalytic Hydrogenation/ Reduction of a nitrile
The questions says "starting from methylbenzene " so you cannot start with Benzene. Also your answer is 2 step where as the question specifies 3 steps.
Hope this helps
Thank you, but I have never come across this particular process before, is there a name for it? Could you maybe provide more information on this process please? Could you provide the mechanisms?
Last edited by anactualmess; 3 months ago
anactualmess
Rep:
?
How would you prepare phenylethylamine in a three-step synthesis starting from methylbenzene?

What mechanisms are involved? Is there a specific name for this process? I can't find much about it online and have never come across an example of a reaction like this in my AQA textbook?
JJJJJAAAAMES
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by anactualmess)
Thank you, but I have never come across this particular process before, is there a name for it? Could you maybe provide more information on this process please? Could you provide the mechanisms?
Follow this diagram on aliphatic synthetic routes: https://imgur.com/a/UuOJn0X
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
How would you prepare phenylethylamine in a three-step synthesis starting from methylbenzene?

What mechanisms are involved? Is there a specific name for this process? I can't find much about it online and have never come across an example of a reaction like this in my AQA textbook?
The benzene ring is just a distraction. You could just as easily transform methane into ethylamine.

PhCH3 --- free radical substitution of chlorine using u.v. light --> PhCH2Cl

Now you need to lengthen the carbon chain. At 'A' level the accepted way is nucleophilic substitution using cyanide ions.

PhCH2Cl + CN- --> PhCH2CN

Now you just have to add hydrogen across the CN triple bond. Use a nickel catalyst and hydrogen gas at 150ºC.

PhCH2CH2NH2
anactualmess
Rep:
?
(Original post by charco)
The benzene ring is just a distraction. You could just as easily transform methane into ethylamine.

PhCH3 --- free radical substitution of chlorine using u.v. light --> PhCH2Cl

Now you need to lengthen the carbon chain. At 'A' level the accepted way is nucleophilic substitution using cyanide ions.

PhCH2Cl + CN- --> PhCH2CN

Now you just have to add hydrogen across the CN triple bond. Use a nickel catalyst and hydrogen gas at 150ºC.

PhCH2CH2NH2
thank you so much I get it now
Mr.noname
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
The have named the mechanisms and the reagents and conditions have already been mentioned in the markscheme. Use synthetic routes to determine which three steps would make the desired product starting from a given compound.
ChemPhysHelper
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
The flashcards at www.alevelrevisioncards.co.uk are helping me greatly with things like this. Maybe check them out?
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Mr.noname)
The have named the mechanisms and the reagents and conditions have already been mentioned in the markscheme. Use synthetic routes to determine which three steps would make the desired product starting from a given compound.
I've already answered this in your other thread (on the same topic - :naughty:)

In fact, I'll merge them ...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.31%
No I am happy with my course choice (357)
56.31%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.67%

Watched Threads