Why do Cardiff and Birmingham get overlooked on here?

Watch this thread
Villalad2001
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,

I was researching unis and never see either Cardiff or Birmingham mentioned on here for law - why is that?

They both seem competitive, good universities, both in the RG but people never seem to consider them as an option.

I see comparable ones like Sheffield, Leeds, York and Exeter get a lot of attention but not Cardiff or Birmingham, which are arguably just as good.

Why is this or am I wrong?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Villalad2001)
Hi,

I was researching unis and never see either Cardiff or Birmingham mentioned on here for law - why is that?

They both seem competitive, good universities, both in the RG but people never seem to consider them as an option.

I see comparable ones like Sheffield, Leeds, York and Exeter get a lot of attention but not Cardiff or Birmingham, which are arguably just as good.

Why is this or am I wrong?
I think Birmingham does get mentioned quite a bit but maybe it’s not quite as popular as some of the others. I would say that Cardiff is not considered quite such a good Uni either for Law specifically or as a RG Uni generally. Not all RG Unis are of equal competitiveness and Cardiff is one of those that often has vacancies in Clearing for all sorts of subjects. Having said that, it is still a good solid Uni so not a bad choice at all
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Both meh-tier that's why.
harrysbar
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
I was waiting for you to pop up and start trying to convince OP to apply to Exeter
Notoriety
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
I was waiting for you to pop up and start trying to convince OP to apply to Exeter
Musta mistaken me for Muttley.
harrysbar
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Cardiff doesn't get mentioned much in comparison to the Unis asking for AAA but I think it's a reasonable choice for people predicted ABB, say. Although people like Notoriety will be able to tell you which "better" unis ask for AAA but will in reality sometimes let people in with ABB. It would be interesting to know what grades Cardiff actually admit people with
Villalad2001
Rep:
Define meh-tier? Birmingham asks for AAA so that hardly screams meh.

Meh are unis like Reading, UEA and Kent, not Cardiff and Birmingham.

Do you honestly believe the aforementioned ones (Leeds, Sheffield, York, Exeter) are much better than Cardiff?
Villalad2001
Rep:
Musta mistaken me for Muttley.
Exactly - Exeter isn’t exactly much better than the other ones. It’s probably regarded as better than Cardiff because it’s in a less rough area and more white.

Facts.
Villalad2001
Rep:
(Original post by harrysbar)
Cardiff doesn't get mentioned much in comparison to the Unis asking for AAA but I think it's a reasonable choice for people predicted ABB, say. Although people like Notoriety will be able to tell you which "better" unis ask for AAA but will in reality sometimes let people in with ABB. It would be interesting to know what grades Cardiff actually admit people with
Think people turn their nose up at it. I even see Liverpool mentioned on here from time to time and if you think Liverpool’s better than Cardiff or Birmingham you’re just naive.
Villalad2001
Rep:
You probably only count Oxbridge and LSE as good.

To call Cardiff good isn’t generous in the first place - you say there are discussions about how good a place is but you see York, Leeds and Exeter mentioned on here constantly. You honestly think their vastly superior to Cardiff?
Villalad2001
Rep:
(Original post by J-SP)
A lot of people don’t want to live in Cardiff or Birmingham
So you’re saying it’s all down to location as opposed to the actual academic quality?

As do you genuinely believe York, Exeter and Leeds are a tier above Cardiff and Birmingham?
MagCar
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
So you’re saying it’s all down to location as opposed to the actual academic quality?

As do you genuinely believe York, Exeter and Leeds are a tier above Cardiff and Birmingham?
I would consider them equal. But having said that, these institutions and others such as KCL, Bristol, Warwick, Notts, and Durham are of equal rank from my perspective. A more important factor is your grades.
harrysbar
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Think people turn their nose up at it. I even see Liverpool mentioned on here from time to time and if you think Liverpool’s better than Cardiff or Birmingham you’re just naive.
I would place Birmingham above Liverpool and rank Liverpool and Cardiff unis about the same. People with more indepth knowledge about the respective law schools may say that Liverpool has the edge, I don't know. By the way, I would never describe the city of Cardiff as being "rough" or "non white" (maybe in comparison to Exeter but if prospective law students judged unis predominantly by that measure, why are Nottingham and London so popular?)
Notoriety
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Define meh-tier? Birmingham asks for AAA so that hardly screams meh.

Meh are unis like Reading, UEA and Kent, not Cardiff and Birmingham.

Do you honestly believe the aforementioned ones (Leeds, Sheffield, York, Exeter) are much better than Cardiff?
UEA asks for AAA, so that hardly screams meh.
Villalad2001
Rep:
(Original post by J-SP)
Im not saying it is “all down” to location, but it has an awful lot to do with location more than academic quality.

People talking/not talking about something is a popularity contest not a sign of quality.
I'm not disagreeing with that but places like Nottingham get talked about a lot and that's hardly a beautiful city is it?

Hardly miles better than Cardiff and Birmingham either.
Villalad2001
Rep:
UEA asks for AAA, so that hardly screams meh.
You're being pedantic and you know it.

All these unis aren't as good and those requirements are meaningless because on results day UEA would probably take a BBC.

So you honestly believe unis like York, Leeds, Exeter etc are better than Cardiff?
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
No one really cares where one studies ultimately, go where ever you like.
Arisapo
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
If you like Cardiff/Birmingham and want to study there, it's not a bad option as they're both decent.

However, compared to most on here, they are a notch below - the fact Cardiff asks for ABB and is generally always available through clearing should tell you what you need to know.

People on here mainly discuss the unis they want to go to and seeing as neither Cardiff or Birmingham typically fall into that category, they don't get talked about. Wouldn't really call it overlooked per se.
Arisapo
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MagCar)
I would consider them equal. But having said that, these institutions and others such as KCL, Bristol, Warwick, Notts, and Durham are of equal rank from my perspective. A more important factor is your grades.
I'm in agreement that your grades are the more important factor but if you consider Cardiff of equal rank to Durham, you're just absolutely mental.

Durham has much better students, is more academic and I don't usually refer to league tables but the fact Durham is ranked 7th and Cardiff 38th by the CUG should tell you everything you need to know.
Villalad2001
Rep:
Alright, so only the London ones and Oxbridge then?

What about my second point? You honestly believe these unis to be superior to Cardiff? It’s a tiny difference, if any.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (15)
15.46%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (25)
25.77%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (53)
54.64%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
4.12%

Watched Threads