How common is it to secure a permanent teaching position after NQT year?

Watch
TeacherTraining1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Out of curiosity, I've recently been browsing the job boards in the mindset that I'm already a qualified teacher. What worries me is the lack of permanent positions. Arguably, teaching isn't the most attractive career so this dims my light a little. I had planned to finish my training, finish my NQT year, and then find a stable, secure job. Supply teaching is a great way to gain more experience, and fits in around people's other commitments, but the last thing I want to worry about is whether I'll be able to find consistent work, since the job seems stressful enough! I really feel like teaching is the job I want to do until retirement, so I kind of want to get a permanent position asap after NQT so that I can work my way up/progress in my career etc. Am I worrying about nothing?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think it can depend a bit on your subject- I'm a science trainee and there are lots of permanent jobs available. In other subject areas where schools are less desperate for teachers, temporary contracts for the first year are more the norm. This doesn't mean you won't be taken on permanently after the year is up though, it's basically just a year long probation to give the school the option to change their mind about you at the end of the year.

It might also be a regional thing- by not giving you a permanent contract, the school are committing less to yearly pay rises, which can be due to school funding.

But permanent jobs are still out there and many people do still stay in the same school for long periods.
zafreenfarooque
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
At a SCITT event we were told trainees are getting recruited by December, but I teacher friend of mine told me it's temp contract after temp contract
Dalightfool
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've just been employed for next September.
Schools are under such financial pressure that NQTs are seen as very attractive employees.
To improve prospects of finding a job:
Consider relocation.
Make yourself indispensable while at your placement schools. Make them *want* you. Take on extra sessions, help out with SEND groups; assist in the behaviour unit. Make friends with as many people in your school as possible - networking with the right people can sometimes make the difference between getting a job at your placement school and not.

If you can't relocate, consider working as a teaching assistant or cover supervisor at a local school until a teaching post comes up.

Good luck and remember - teaching is an exhausting job, so when you interview - make sure your passion comes across more so than the other candidates. The answers to your questions are second to the passion and energy you exude.
Sceptical_John
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TeacherTraining1)
Out of curiosity, I've recently been browsing the job boards in the mindset that I'm already a qualified teacher. What worries me is the lack of permanent positions. Arguably, teaching isn't the most attractive career so this dims my light a little. I had planned to finish my training, finish my NQT year, and then find a stable, secure job. Supply teaching is a great way to gain more experience, and fits in around people's other commitments, but the last thing I want to worry about is whether I'll be able to find consistent work, since the job seems stressful enough! I really feel like teaching is the job I want to do until retirement, so I kind of want to get a permanent position asap after NQT so that I can work my way up/progress in my career etc. Am I worrying about nothing?
I've been on two pgce interviews (maths) and in both cases they've told me everyone who wanted a perm job got one. You perhaps need some flexability ie location but I got the impression for secondary it was quite straight forward. Of course they could be bull sh*tting!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads