The Student Room Group

OCR Computer Science: Embedded Systems

What is the definition of embedded systems? I’ve googled it many times and it always gives me a answer in words I don’t understand.

Also what are some of the best examples to use because I thought calculator was one but apparently they find ways to suggest its not
Oh
Anyone? :frown:
A computer system in which a real time operating system (RTOS) is used and serves a purpose to another system which it is a part of.
It has a fixed purpose that can't really be changed. this could include the chip that reads cd data, the temperature controller in your fridge, the timer on a microwave etc
An embedded system is a computer system built into another device. Dedicated to one single specific task.
Examples are: microwave, dishwasher, MP3/DVD player.

Extra info:
Embedded systems have firmware, which means they contain both software and hardware.
Original post by sdr981
A computer system in which a real time operating system (RTOS) is used and serves a purpose to another system which it is a part of.
It has a fixed purpose that can't really be changed. this could include the chip that reads cd data, the temperature controller in your fridge, the timer on a microwave etc

This makes much more sense thank you, before I was confused because how is a microwave built into another device
Because the computer system part of the microwave into serves part of the whole purpose of the item and instead tells the hardware what to do.
So if I put just microwave or calculator or dishwasher as my answer when it asks for an example would I get the mark
Ok

Quick Reply

Latest