jnine
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hello friends,

I am going to be attending UCL starting this coming academic year (2019-2020), but I'm joining at second year (i.e., point of entry year 2), and UCL does not guarantee halls accommodation unless you're a first year.
I have already applied to UCL's official accommodation application, but their website says they advise students who are not first-years to "secure accommodation elsewhere", and I'm a bit worried about my options.
I really want to live in halls, or some sort of student social setting, so I can get to meet students, as this is my first year here (and, since I don't know anyone, I can't plan a flat with friends that I already have).
Does anyone have any advice on what sorts of halls or setups I could be looking for? Are there any multi-collegiate halls that I can apply for individually? And otherwise, does anyone recommend ways to meet people to look for a flat with if that's my best option? (I live in the US, so I can't really hang out with people beforehand, but I can chat/call online/via Skype/etc.)

Anyways, any advice is greatly appreciated!
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by jnine)
Hello friends,

I am going to be attending UCL starting this coming academic year (2019-2020), but I'm joining at second year (i.e., point of entry year 2), and UCL does not guarantee halls accommodation unless you're a first year.
I have already applied to UCL's official accommodation application, but their website says they advise students who are not first-years to "secure accommodation elsewhere", and I'm a bit worried about my options.
I really want to live in halls, or some sort of student social setting, so I can get to meet students, as this is my first year here (and, since I don't know anyone, I can't plan a flat with friends that I already have).
Does anyone have any advice on what sorts of halls or setups I could be looking for? Are there any multi-collegiate halls that I can apply for individually? And otherwise, does anyone recommend ways to meet people to look for a flat with if that's my best option? (I live in the US, so I can't really hang out with people beforehand, but I can chat/call online/via Skype/etc.)

Anyways, any advice is greatly appreciated!
Look into privately owned hall options.
University of Brighton Accommodation
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi jnine

Contact the accommodation service at UCL to check what precisely they mean. At Brighton you need to be in your first year of study at the University not necessarily the first year of your academic course, so you would be eligible for guaranteed accommodation at the University of Brighton under the circumstances you have described.

If you're not eligible for their guarantee they can probably help you with alternative accommodation, they do seem to have some accommodation for returners https://www.ucl.ac.uk/accommodation/...-accommodation

Good luck!
Shiv
University of Brighton Accommodation Office
Last edited by University of Brighton Accommodation; 5 months ago
jnine
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by University of Brighton Accommodation)
Hi jnine

Contact the accommodation service at UCL to check what precisely they mean. At Brighton you need to be in your first year of study at the University not necessarily the first year of your academic course, so you would be eligible for guaranteed accommodation at the University of Brighton under the circumstances you have described.

If you're not eligible for their guarantee they can probably help you with alternative accommodation, they do seem to have some accommodation for returners https://www.ucl.ac.uk/accommodation/...-accommodation

Good luck!
Shiv
University of Brighton Accommodation Office
Thank you!
I emailed the UCL accommodation office asking about whether I'm guaranteed housing. Thank you for bringing this up - hopefully you are right that they guarantee accommodation if it's my first year at UCL, like the way you described at Brighton.
Anyways I'll await their response!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (9)
8.82%
Disagree (5)
4.9%
Neither agree or disagree (32)
31.37%
Agree (40)
39.22%
Strongly Agree (16)
15.69%

Watched Threads

Latest