The Student Room Group

Living in Halls as a Second-Year Entry?

Hello friends,

I am going to be attending UCL starting this coming academic year (2019-2020), but I'm joining at second year (i.e., point of entry year 2), and UCL does not guarantee halls accommodation unless you're a first year.
I have already applied to UCL's official accommodation application, but their website says they advise students who are not first-years to "secure accommodation elsewhere", and I'm a bit worried about my options.
I really want to live in halls, or some sort of student social setting, so I can get to meet students, as this is my first year here (and, since I don't know anyone, I can't plan a flat with friends that I already have).
Does anyone have any advice on what sorts of halls or setups I could be looking for? Are there any multi-collegiate halls that I can apply for individually? And otherwise, does anyone recommend ways to meet people to look for a flat with if that's my best option? (I live in the US, so I can't really hang out with people beforehand, but I can chat/call online/via Skype/etc.)

Anyways, any advice is greatly appreciated!
Original post by jnine
Hello friends,

I am going to be attending UCL starting this coming academic year (2019-2020), but I'm joining at second year (i.e., point of entry year 2), and UCL does not guarantee halls accommodation unless you're a first year.
I have already applied to UCL's official accommodation application, but their website says they advise students who are not first-years to "secure accommodation elsewhere", and I'm a bit worried about my options.
I really want to live in halls, or some sort of student social setting, so I can get to meet students, as this is my first year here (and, since I don't know anyone, I can't plan a flat with friends that I already have).
Does anyone have any advice on what sorts of halls or setups I could be looking for? Are there any multi-collegiate halls that I can apply for individually? And otherwise, does anyone recommend ways to meet people to look for a flat with if that's my best option? (I live in the US, so I can't really hang out with people beforehand, but I can chat/call online/via Skype/etc.)

Anyways, any advice is greatly appreciated!

Look into privately owned hall options.
Hi @jnine

Contact the accommodation service at UCL to check what precisely they mean. At Brighton you need to be in your first year of study at the University not necessarily the first year of your academic course, so you would be eligible for guaranteed accommodation at the University of Brighton under the circumstances you have described.

If you're not eligible for their guarantee they can probably help you with alternative accommodation, they do seem to have some accommodation for returners https://www.ucl.ac.uk/accommodation/returning-students/returning-students-accommodation

Good luck!
Shiv
University of Brighton Accommodation Office
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by University of Brighton Accommodation
Hi @jnine

Contact the accommodation service at UCL to check what precisely they mean. At Brighton you need to be in your first year of study at the University not necessarily the first year of your academic course, so you would be eligible for guaranteed accommodation at the University of Brighton under the circumstances you have described.

If you're not eligible for their guarantee they can probably help you with alternative accommodation, they do seem to have some accommodation for returners https://www.ucl.ac.uk/accommodation/returning-students/returning-students-accommodation

Good luck!
Shiv
University of Brighton Accommodation Office

Thank you!
I emailed the UCL accommodation office asking about whether I'm guaranteed housing. Thank you for bringing this up - hopefully you are right that they guarantee accommodation if it's my first year at UCL, like the way you described at Brighton.
Anyways I'll await their response!
Hey, I'm doing second year transfer to Exeter in september and I'm worried about accommodation - do you think I should live in halls with freshers or try to find a room in a shared house? Also how did you find making friends on the course? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest