fiveorsixstores
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all,

Next month I am sitting my GCSEs in Latin (Eduqas) and Classical Greek (OCR). I am very frightened about both of these, but especially the Greek as I got a 3 in my mock. Does anyone know the most successful way to revise set texts? For Latin I'm doing Echo & Narcissus and A Day At The Races, while for Greek I'm doing Alcestis and Solon&Croesus.
fiveorsixstores
Rep:
?
Anyone?
Classics_Teacher
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would say that the main thing to start with is making sure that your knowledge of the grammar is as strong as it can be, otherwise you face a bit of an uphill struggle in terms of trying to simply memorise how a translation matches to the Latin/Greek text which, although possible, isn't necessarily the easiest route!

Break the text down into smaller chunks, so that rather than trying to learn all of a section in one go, you're learning one or at the most two sentences each time you revise. Pick them apart to see how they fit together (i.e. how you get to the translation) and then have a go at writing them out using a clean copy of the Latin/Greek text.

It's important to know how the set texts 'work' before trying to apply the style notes to them.

If you are able to, it's well worth looking into getting a tutor, either face-to-face or online, particularly if you're trying to jump more than one or two grades.

Feel free to send me a PM if I can be of any further help.
fiveorsixstores
Rep:
?
(Original post by Classics_Teacher)
I would say that the main thing to start with is making sure that your knowledge of the grammar is as strong as it can be, otherwise you face a bit of an uphill struggle in terms of trying to simply memorise how a translation matches to the Latin/Greek text which, although possible, isn't necessarily the easiest route!

Break the text down into smaller chunks, so that rather than trying to learn all of a section in one go, you're learning one or at the most two sentences each time you revise. Pick them apart to see how they fit together (i.e. how you get to the translation) and then have a go at writing them out using a clean copy of the Latin/Greek text.

It's important to know how the set texts 'work' before trying to apply the style notes to them.

If you are able to, it's well worth looking into getting a tutor, either face-to-face or online, particularly if you're trying to jump more than one or two grades.

Feel free to send me a PM if I can be of any further help.
Thank you so so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (99)
13.52%
I'm not sure (32)
4.37%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (230)
31.42%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.32%
I'm not a current university student (354)
48.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed