Help with English literature gcse Watch

Jakejoyce2016
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I have structured a rather high level paragraph for my blood brothers analysis for the character of Edward but I need some assistance in to what I have done well and if i have started good.
Can anyone help.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
allstoriesrtrue
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I didn't study Blood Brothers at GCSE (our play was the History Boys) but i'm taking A Level Literature and am familiar with the story. Happy to look over it for you x
(Original post by Jakejoyce2016)
I have structured a rather high level paragraph for my blood brothers analysis for the character of Edward but I need some assistance in to what I have done well and if i have started good.
Can anyone help.
sxrxh125
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
learn quotes and do 2 quotes per para and loads of analysis as that is what gets you marks
Jakejoyce2016
Rep:
?
I intend to analyse 2 other quotes but one form the middle of the play and one which is from the denouement because I want an analysis from his youth to his adulthood. In the first paragraph I have constructed, I have utilised a quote from one the early stages (exposition.)

In the orientation of blood brothers, Willy Russell depicts the character of Edward with a manner of ignorance, as he condescends to Micky and exerts his educational influence towards him, solely due to his lack of education. For instance, this is in evidence in the quotation, “Don’t you know what a dictionary is.” This quotation reveals Edward’s conceited demeanour, as though he is rather surprised that Micky doesn’t tonos what a dictionary is, but the fact that he repeats the noun ‘dictionary’ again, accentuates a sense of surprise, just like Edward is astonished that Micky is unaware of what a dictionary is. Moreover, from this, Edward questions Micky in an almost incredulous manner, which makes it seem as though he automatically assumed his friend would be educated, which reflects on his education and as a middle class boy this would have been a normal privilege to have had. As of this. This clearly shows the difference in intelligence levels in both of the classes, but more significantly prednts the norms of both classes as middle class would have candidly taken an education for granted, whilst the working class wouldn’t have been provided with a somewhat adequate education. Furthermore, this could possibly be insinuating Edward’s rather discourteous attitude in the later scenes, as he isn’t fully comprehensive to those who may have had a different rearing to him, like Micky. Conversely, the formality of his question simultaneously emphasises this idea that he isn’t actually intending to patronise Micky’s lack of education but quite frankly his surfeit of education may undermine this interpretation because he is so naturally hubristic and his tone is almost forced out in disbelief like he can’t actually believe Micky doesn’t know what a dictionary is, as aforementioned. On a rather positive note, this additionally does indeed demonstrate Edward’s intelligence.
sdr981
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I don't do this text so can't really comment but don't use "in this quotation" or similar. Embed your quotations as this shows the examiner that you are an expert
Last edited by sdr981; 3 months ago
allstoriesrtrue
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You've got a great vocabulary, well done! All i would say is just to check the context of some of the words to make sure the sentences make sense. I just quickly edited it to fix some of those issues.

Towards the commencement of Blood Brothers, Willy Russell depicts the character of Edward as arrogant and ignorant of his privileged upbringing – seen in his condescending behaviour towards Micky due to their juxtaposing educational backgrounds. For instance, this is in evident in the quotation, “Don’t you know what a dictionary is?” Whilst one might argue that this quotation reveals Edward’s conceited demeanour, the repetition of the noun ‘dictionary’ invokes a tone of shock or surprise – suggesting Edward is astonished that Mickey is unaware of what a dictionary is. This would therefore mean that the original comment was not one of malice or cruelty but of genuine ignorance/obliviousness. Moreover, Edward goes on to question Mickey in an almost incredulous manner, which makes it seem as though he automatically assumed his friend would be educated to a similar standard as himself – further highlighting the class imbalance, most specifically the inequality within the educational sphere. The comments connote that the middle class would have likely taken such a high-quality education for granted, whilst the working class wouldn’t have been provided, at best, with a somewhat adequate education. This idea of Edward not understanding such disparities could explain his rather discourteous attitude in later scenes, suggesting he doesn’t fully comprehend that many of his peers would have experienced completely different backgrounds to himself. Furthermore, the formality of the question itself emphasises this interpretation that the character wasn’t intending to patronise Mickey but was instead expressing simple curiosity – additionally evidenced by the character’s interactions with his twin being one of equals (shown in the sharing of the sweets and participation in the shooting game), even in spite of Edward’s seemingly superior intellect/education.

You clearly have a good understanding of the text, i would just be careful that you don't repeat your points too much - you get higher marks for using multiple quotes rather than performing such an in-depth analysis on one (i know it seems unfair.) and talking about multiple ideas; here, you've touched upon the topic of educational inequality, perhaps you could broaden that out into general classism or their interactions with their parents/peers?
But you should be proud, it's a really great start - what are your targets? X
(Original post by Jakejoyce2016)
I intend to analyse 2 other quotes but one form the middle of the play and one which is from the denouement because I want an analysis from his youth to his adulthood. In the first paragraph I have constructed, I have utilised a quote from one the early stages (exposition.)

In the orientation of blood brothers, Willy Russell depicts the character of Edward with a manner of ignorance, as he condescends to Micky and exerts his educational influence towards him, solely due to his lack of education. For instance, this is in evidence in the quotation, “Don’t you know what a dictionary is.” This quotation reveals Edward’s conceited demeanour, as though he is rather surprised that Micky doesn’t tonos what a dictionary is, but the fact that he repeats the noun ‘dictionary’ again, accentuates a sense of surprise, just like Edward is astonished that Micky is unaware of what a dictionary is. Moreover, from this, Edward questions Micky in an almost incredulous manner, which makes it seem as though he automatically assumed his friend would be educated, which reflects on his education and as a middle class boy this would have been a normal privilege to have had. As of this. This clearly shows the difference in intelligence levels in both of the classes, but more significantly prednts the norms of both classes as middle class would have candidly taken an education for granted, whilst the working class wouldn’t have been provided with a somewhat adequate education. Furthermore, this could possibly be insinuating Edward’s rather discourteous attitude in the later scenes, as he isn’t fully comprehensive to those who may have had a different rearing to him, like Micky. Conversely, the formality of his question simultaneously emphasises this idea that he isn’t actually intending to patronise Micky’s lack of education but quite frankly his surfeit of education may undermine this interpretation because he is so naturally hubristic and his tone is almost forced out in disbelief like he can’t actually believe Micky doesn’t know what a dictionary is, as aforementioned. On a rather positive note, this additionally does indeed demonstrate Edward’s intelligence.
Jakejoyce2016
Rep:
?
Thankyou this was extremely helpful and my target is an 8 so therefore to exceed it I have to attain a grade 9 ,which in most cases is very hard. Before this I studied Romeo and Juliet and in my final exam I achieved a 9 so I was very elated and I intend to get a 9 in this one so yeah. So from the paragraph what other quotations do you think would be best to analyse in relations to his adulthood because I have used a childhood one in this one. X
allstoriesrtrue
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I’m glad. Honestly I don’t know (like I said before I didn’t study Blood Brothers so I’m just going off my knowledge of the musical). It would partially depend on the specific question as well - what’s the topic focus? Classism? Interactions with other characters?... Something that’s quite easy to do is to contrast Eddie’s syntax with Mickey’s and talk about how that conveys a lot about the characters and their respective backgrounds.
I have a vague memory of Edward becoming some sort of official and Mickey becoming a criminal - if you were talking about classism you could maybe use something from there?

Well done on your Romeo and Juliet mock!!! It’s good to aim high, just don’t put yourself under too much pressure (I know that’s harder than it seems). Good luck!
Jakejoyce2016
Rep:
?
Thank you very much! Well my teacher informed the class a few days ago that the final assessment will be on how the them of class is depicted.
From this, I was intending to use mrs Lyons and Mrs Johnstone but then I was thinking about how class is presented through the characters of Edward and Micky. I’m unsure to which character pair is the best and I do have some analysis of Mrs.Lyons and it’s extremely good but I’m not to sure yet. What do you think? And in relations to Mrs.Lyons I used how she adreesed the lower class with subhuman terminology like ‘them’ which totally dehumanises their human nature but I could construct a paragraph for her and if I do could you possibly check it please.
allstoriesrtrue
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yeah I would use the parents as it’s slightly less obvious (though of course you could mix and match or even talk about all 4.) Yes, pronoun analysis is always good, as long as it’s in the context of a relevant quote. Make sure you’re hitting your context and alternative interpretations marks - people always forget those.
Jakejoyce2016
Rep:
?
Do you have any other way of contacting because my essays are saved and it’s exasperating to type them up on here as I am not eligible to copy them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (145)
17.64%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
9%
No I am happy with my course choice (485)
59%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (118)
14.36%

Watched Threads