The Student Room Group

Is there some sort of hidden structure for English???

How on earth am I meant to structure an English language or literature question??? What am I meant to include to get top grades? Cause the mark scheme is anything but easy to understand! I’m becoming more and more stressed. Does anyone have any truly “grade changing” advice??
I am currently in my second year of A Level literature and all I can say to you is make sure you’re hitting all the AOs and writing clearly- don’t write fancy for the sake of it but make good points and explain them to the best of you’re ability all with language techniques, a quote and context or whatever else you may need to add in.
Reply 2
Original post by MariannaL
I am currently in my second year of A Level literature and all I can say to you is make sure you’re hitting all the AOs and writing clearly- don’t write fancy for the sake of it but make good points and explain them to the best of you’re ability all with language techniques, a quote and context or whatever else you may need to add in.

Honestly I really do not understand the AOs....
Original post by 9989AQA
Honestly I really do not understand the AOs....

From what I remember there AO1) the way you write A02) structure, form and language (you basically analyse a part of it and talk about how it fits into the question ) and AO3) context and how it fits into the question. I might be a bit off with it but if you do all that you can’t go wrong.
Reply 4
Original post by MariannaL
From what I remember there AO1) the way you write A02) structure, form and language (you basically analyse a part of it and talk about how it fits into the question ) and AO3) context and how it fits into the question. I might be a bit off with it but if you do all that you can’t go wrong.

I’ll have a go at some papers with this advice thank u
Original post by 9989AQA
I’ll have a go at some papers with this advice thank u

Good luck and np.
Reply 6
basically each paragraph should ALWAYS hit ALL the AOs no matter watch.
There's some basic things you can do here.

First off, the question often determines the structure you will use for your essay. So use the question to assist how you structure your response.

Always answer the question you have been set, not the question you wish you had been set. Plan a logical structure to your argument - para 1 your introduction where you set out your thesis, body of the essay where you expound that thesis, conclusion where you reflect on what you have said and sum up.

Ensure you write in paragraphs, use punctuation, spell words correctly, and start each paragraph with a topic sentence that will sign post the reader as to what you are going to state. In other words: "There is evidence to show that Hamlet's madness is feigned". This tells me you are about to go through all the evidence that shows he's just pretending to be mad.

Always use the text to determine your argument. The text is king - always. Nobody cares about your opinions, they care about what the text says and your ability to interpret that text. So don't make any statements that cannot be back up with textual evidence. Argument- evidence. This means knowing the texts inside out. Read them, over and over. know your quotes. For the texts you mention, you should have quotes prepared on characters, key scenes, turning points in the plot, setting, and themes.

I hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending