English at A level Watch

Kate Bosak
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I chose Alevel English lit and Lang and I just had my final exams the other day. In class we did the novel the Kiterunner, handmaids tale, a play called streetcar named desire, poems by Seamus Heaney and a booklet of extracts about Paris. In Paris for example, we had to use terminology to analyse the way it was written, for example the study of language (semantics, pragmatics etc) and in the novels we had to rewrite a section of the book in the exam and it’s more about the meaning of the book and how language is used to create meaning. I’m not too sure what you do I’m just English Lit but I did Lit and Lang and really enjoyed it. In the Lit classes, you can use the language you have learnt from the lang classes. English was the easiest Alevel I took, I also took biology and psychology (2 sciences). I got a 7 and 8 at GCSE which I think is an A and A*? And doing English at Alevel feels like GCSE but a bit harder only because of the terminology. I think it’s a good Alevel to choose, it’s my safe subject ))
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
anonONE1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I do both language and literature. English language is far easier, Literature is impossible. If you’re looking to get a good grade English language is definitely the best bet. It’s more about the science of language.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
tia.xiourouppas
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I might be a bit late but I am currently in year 12 and I do both English Language and English Literature separately. If you don't like reading and extra analysis then Literature is absolutely the wrong choice, in my opinion the workload for Lit is far above the workload for lang. Language is more free in terms of workload, most work is done in class, whereas in Lit most reading is done at home. However language requires a lot of focus on grammar, which can be quite tedious when having to memorise a million and one sentence types. Overall , I think literature is harder but not as repetitive. When considering your other subjects, language fits in really well with these; it will help massively with spanish because of the word class and grammar focus, and the child language section is based on theories and mentions cognitive development which i think crosses over with psychology.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (208)
14.79%
The paper was reasonable (785)
55.83%
Not feeling great about that exam... (310)
22.05%
It was TERRIBLE (103)
7.33%

Watched Threads