The Student Room Group

Can I get arrested for this?

So I was chatting to a guy on Grindr who messaged me first but I told him I wasn't interested in him sexually as I was looking for trans guys (he was cis.) He then said okay do you want to chat? So I said okay and sent him a picture of an air pistol asking him if he was into shooting sports at all. He then called me disgusting and blocked me. If he tells the police can I get in trouble?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, shooting sports aren’t illegal nor can they really trace you. The police wouldn’t be bothered with you at all since they have much bigger things to do.

Joe
Original post by Joe_01
No, shooting sports aren’t illegal nor can they really trace you. The police wouldn’t be bothered with you at all since they have much bigger things to do.

Joe

They could be traced if the police decided it was significant enough to invest their time and efforts into, such as assault aligations, but with this, they most likely tell you to stop overreacting.
Reply 3
I wasn't threatening him it was just an attempt on my part to make conversation which he seemingly misinterpreted as a threat
Original post by Joe_01

Joe

Original post by Unexpectedly
They could be traced if the police decided it was significant enough to invest their time and efforts into, such as assault aligations, but with this, they most likely tell you to stop overreacting.
Does make you sound a bit of a psycho, but I doubt it's a criminal offence in itself, doorstep visit at most.
Reply 5
Thanks he must have thought I was talking about shooting people from his reaction
Original post by StriderHort
Does make you sound a bit of a psycho, but I doubt it's a criminal offence in itself, doorstep visit at most.
If the gun is legal, then you can't get arrested.
Reply 7
Cheers
Original post by Clockrice
If the gun is legal, then you can't get arrested.
Original post by Anonymous
So I was chatting to a guy on Grindr who messaged me first but I told him I wasn't interested in him sexually as I was looking for trans guys (he was cis.) He then said okay do you want to chat? So I said okay and sent him a picture of an air pistol asking him if he was into shooting sports at all. He then called me disgusting and blocked me. If he tells the police can I get in trouble?

just get some head and its all good.
Reply 9
Original post by Joe_01

Joe

Police are arresting people for "politically incorrect" posts on Twitter.

Also while shooting sports are legal, the guy OP was talking to could have easily (and quite rightly it seems, given, how OP comes across) have taken it as a kind of intimidation.
Do I come across as intimidating? The guy shouldn’t have even been messaging me in the first place. I made it quite clear on my profile I was only interested in trans men and he was out of my posted age range to boot.
Original post by Tootles
Police are arresting people for "politically incorrect" posts on Twitter.

Also while shooting sports are legal, the guy OP was talking to could have easily (and quite rightly it seems, given, how OP comes across) have taken it as a kind of intimidation.
Do I come across as intimidating? The guy shouldn’t have even been messaging me in the first place. I made it quite clear on my profile I was only interested in trans men and he was out of my posted age range to boot.
Sites like that don't have rules saying you shouldn't message people who claim a very narrow interest. He messaged you, you sent him a picture that was inappropriate and potentially offensive and intimidating. You are actually in the wrong, morally and legally.
No but surely with a little bit on common sense applied if you didn’t meet the stated requirements of that person why would you message? Furthermore after he messaged he asked me again if I was only into trans men whereby I repeated my preference and he still persisted to try and talk to me.

There’s nothing illegal about asking someone if they’re into shooting sports. Most city dwellers know Jack **** about guns so that’s probably where the fear came from but it was just an honest question on my part
Original post by Tootles
Sites like that don't have rules saying you shouldn't message people who claim a very narrow interest. He messaged you, you sent him a picture that was inappropriate and potentially offensive and intimidating. You are actually in the wrong, morally and legally.
Why are you assuming this is about your guns? He could have been disgusted that you dismissed him for not being trans.
Because he asked me again when I messaged him if I was into trans guys and I said yes again after which he tried to continue chatting. It was only after I’d asked him and sent the picture of my air pistol he reacted like that
Original post by tashkent46
Why are you assuming this is about your guns? He could have been disgusted that you dismissed him for not being trans.
Because he asked me again when I messaged him if I was into trans guys and I said yes again after which he tried to continue chatting. It was only after I’d asked him and sent the picture of my air pistol he reacted like that

I think he had a delayed reaction. He likely decided he didn't like you to start with, probably picked you out deliberately. I think the guns just added to it.
No but surely with a little bit on common sense applied if you didn’t meet the stated requirements of that person why would you message? Furthermore after he messaged he asked me again if I was only into trans men whereby I repeated my preference and he still persisted to try and talk to me.

There’s nothing illegal about asking someone if they’re into shooting sports. Most city dwellers know Jack **** about guns so that’s probably where the fear came from but it was just an honest question on my part

You have the option of not responding to messages from people with whom you don't want to communicate - but you decided to respond to him. And when you didn't get your own way, you sent a message with a particular intent, under the giuse of inquiring about a relatively rare interest.

Was he in the wrong for messaging you? No. He was just stupid to expect anything positive to come from it.

Were you in the wrong? Yes. You responded to a message from someone you didn't want to talk to, several times. You then sent him a picture of a gun and started talking about shooting.

Don't pretend your intent wasn't to intimidate him into cutting contact - from what you've said in this thread, it's completely clear that that was what you wanted - and don't pretend that citing "common sense" would get you out of trouble if anything came of this.
Reply 17
Thanks he must have thought I was talking about shooting people from his reaction

He probably thought that you were trolling him. Like why would you even go on grindr if you have no interest in dicks.
Well some people get off from wasting people’s time like that I guess.
Original post by tashkent46
I think he had a delayed reaction. He likely decided he didn't like you to start with, probably picked you out deliberately. I think the guns just added to it.

You weren’t interested in talking to him, so why did you want to inform him of your hobbies? I think sending him that picture seems like an odd thing to do. Would you have sent a picture of a football or dance shoes?

He’s not going to inform the police about that. He blocked you anyway, so what would he show/tell them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending