which degree will make me the most bucks?

Watch
j.1.2
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Imperial C.L. - civil engineering
Unversity of Bristol - Economics and Management
Warwick university - Engineering Business Management
University of Bristol - Civil engineering

Just want your thougths, not judgements thanks.
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by j.1.2)

It's dependant on the sector you want to work in (which many do not require a particular subject to be taken to degree level, nor a degree), your work experience and skills you've built up during your 3/4yrs at uni. The degree itself won't get you money.
j.1.2
Rep:
?
(Original post by kkboyk)
It's dependant on the sector you want to work in (which many do not require a particular subject to be taken to degree level, nor a degree), your work experience and skills you've built up during your 3/4yrs at uni. The degree itself won't get you money.
true
modifiedgenes
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Anything involving investment banking.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by modifiedgenes)
Anything involving investment banking.
I agree with this so the Bristol course would be best purely from that point of view. Sraight Economics might be better tho
j.1.2
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
I agree with this so the Bristol course would be best purely from that point of view. Sraight Economics might be better tho
intreresting. will be less work than engineering as well.
modifiedgenes
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Doing a degree purely because you are motivated by the idea of the money at the end of it is not the way to go about it I am afraid.

A degree is 3 or more years of studying the same subject. You will also be in competition with dozens if not hundreds or thousands of students looking for the same entry into the same career. It does not take a monkey to realise that there are only so many positions industry for people with any kind of degree.
Much will depend on getting some kind of entry or internship with a company once you finish. From what I have been told a lot of people going into the big bucks world of commerce rely on the fact they went to a particular private school or the old boys network to get a job.
Your mileage may vary.
modifiedgenes
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by j.1.2)
But three times as dull.

Engineering is a very very interesting field and with a wealth of possibilities and with multiple possible career paths.

Chose your career and THEN the degree path you will take.

I warn all young people now, do not assume that a degree with come with a job attached it doesn't. It comes with a debt attached.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Doing a degree purely because you are motivated by the idea of the money at the end of it is not the way to go about it I am afraid.

A degree is 3 or more years of studying the same subject. You will also be in competition with dozens if not hundreds or thousands of students looking for the same entry into the same career. It does not take a monkey to realise that there are only so many positions industry for people with any kind of degree.
Much will depend on getting some kind of entry or internship with a company once you finish. From what I have been told a lot of people going into the big bucks world of commerce rely on the fact they went to a particular private school or the old boys network to get a job.
Your mileage may vary.
I don't know why you're quoting me, my personal career choice has not been motivated by money. I was merely giving my opinion on OPs question, which was "Which degree will make me the most bucks...just want your thoughts, not judgements thanks".
DarthRoar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
A degree wont make you money. However, they can definitely help put you on a course to. Statistics widely back this up. From your courses listed, Economics and Management at Bristol has the highest predicted earnings. Earning for engineering (especially civil) is rather paltry.

PS. Engineering is soul crushing according to everyone I've spoken too, and all for a measly <30k even after a few years.
Last edited by DarthRoar; 11 months ago
modifiedgenes
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I don't know why you're quoting me, my personal career choice has not been motivated by money. I was merely giving my opinion on OPs question, which was "Which degree will make me the most bucks...just want your thoughts, not judgements thanks".
You have assumed I believe you have chosen a degree with money being the main motivation. I did not say that.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
You have assumed I believe you have chosen a degree with money being the main motivation. I did not say that.
I just don't understand why you quoted me
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
See thread do not go into engineering. That might help (or not)
(Original post by j.1.2)

Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by j.1.2)
I wouldn't necessarily assume that. Economics and economics based degrees can be very mathematically challenging, and require a large amount of study to be successful in.

What kinds of careers are you actually interested in doing?
Spratty
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
ICL -> Fast track to investment banking
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Best way to investment banking = Economics at Cambridge. I know someone on that course and it's practically stuffed full of future investment bankers. And once you're in your second year, if you're interested in banking, the banks openly court you.
(Original post by Spratty)
ICL -> Fast track to investment banking
j.1.2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by Smack)
I wouldn't necessarily assume that. Economics and economics based degrees can be very mathematically challenging, and require a large amount of study to be successful in.

What kinds of careers are you actually interested in doing?
i guess u did/ are doing eco
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by j.1.2)
i guess u did/ are doing eco
No, I actually did engineering.
j.1.2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by Smack)
No, I actually did engineering.
how did it go for you?
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by j.1.2)
how did it go for you?
Your reply was almost as quick as the speed of light.

It went fine, generally. Obviously, it involves plenty of work, but be advised, so do the majority of degrees. Economics is probably going to be on par with it. You're not choosing the easy option by choosing it over engineering.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (52)
47.27%
No, they should still go ahead (26)
23.64%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (32)
29.09%

Watched Threads