The Student Room Group

which degree will make me the most bucks?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Smack
Your reply was almost as quick as the speed of light.

It went fine, generally. Obviously, it involves plenty of work, but be advised, so do the majority of degrees. Economics is probably going to be on par with it. You're not choosing the easy option by choosing it over engineering.

cheers
Reply 21
Original post by DarthRoar
A degree wont make you money. However, they can definitely help put you on a course to. Statistics widely back this up. From your courses listed, Economics and Management at Bristol has the highest predicted earnings. Earning for engineering (especially civil) is rather paltry.

PS. Engineering is soul crushing according to everyone I've spoken too, and all for a measly <30k even after a few years.

you're speaking out your a** here. Ofc it depends on the university and which Engineering branch you do, but for the top 5 uni's in the UK for Mechanical Engineering, after 3 years the AVERAGE earning is about £34k with the range typically being 30k to £40k+. Engineers are no where near "measly" salaries. In fact, they're one of the best degrees out there if you're looking for $$$ (obviously economics/finance will ALWAYS get more regardless of university ranking). It begs the question: get GOOD salary doing a interesting/engaging engineering job or get a GREAT salary doing a, well, you know how economics jobs are like, do I even have to describe it at this point?

All I can say is, I hope you can make a lot of money in your job looking other peoples taxes. Maybe get a REALLY early retirement before that dreaded crisis hits. I know that's all I would be thinking about if I did eco/finance lol
Reply 22
Investment banking might give you a lot of money but it will most certainly suck the soul out of you. I've been on my uni Taster course visits to 2 companies and I've met 2 ex-investment-bankers in each. They had both left investment banking to work for (somewhat) smaller companies/startups and both of them said they'd never go back to investment banking. A typical day as an investment banker is usually 17 hours long. Money is important, sure, but don't let it be the only motivation in getting a degree.
Using your stocks and shares ISA with unit trust investments (particularly technology if you can handle the risk), and living with parents as long as possible will quickly put you 5-15 years ahead of anyone who has not done this, regardless of degree choice.

If you are able to do this, by your mid 30's, your income from a job will be largely irrelevant as your investments will be increasing at a faster rate than your job pay raises. *

Investment income is only ever taxed at 20% max, and most of the time it's only 10% (or nothing if you structure it properly). Graduates with a student loan will face a 49% (huge, I know) tax on every penny over 43K. And don't forget the 30% on every pound over 16K. Income from a stocks and shares isa is always tax free as well. So the overwhelming majority of people will actually never pay capital gains tax.

Very few people make the correct use of the UK tax system.

* - This assumes you keep your monthly costs minimised and don't start a family etc...
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by D7E
you're speaking out your a** here. Ofc it depends on the university and which Engineering branch you do, but for the top 5 uni's in the UK for Mechanical Engineering, after 3 years the AVERAGE earning is about £34k with the range typically being 30k to £40k+. Engineers are no where near "measly" salaries. In fact, they're one of the best degrees out there if you're looking for $$$ (obviously economics/finance will ALWAYS get more regardless of university ranking). It begs the question: get GOOD salary doing a interesting/engaging engineering job or get a GREAT salary doing a, well, you know how economics jobs are like, do I even have to describe it at this point?

All I can say is, I hope you can make a lot of money in your job looking other peoples taxes. Maybe get a REALLY early retirement before that dreaded crisis hits. I know that's all I would be thinking about if I did eco/finance lol

Nah I'm not, and that's not true. You haven't provided any sources for those estimates, yet I will be providing solid ones for mine.

Average Engineering degree earnings are £36,950 by age 29, 8 years after graduation.

Even for Imperial and Oxbridge, earnings are around £50-55k, 8 years after graduation. Very few get on these courses, obviously.

Even degrees like business at Reading, or Economics at sussex, hardly top universities outpace earnings from engineering at Cambridge!

Of the top 100 courses for predicted earnings at 29, only 3 are engineering courses, and they're from Oxbridge and Imperial. 20 are Economics.

Whilst some engineering degrees may net you a decent starting salary, growth is clearly limited, outpaced by far less prestigious courses.

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/13731
Equine studies

Get it :teehee:
Original post by Kernel_Coder

Good stuff. I intend to commute to London from my parent's house once I graduate. With expense free living and a good salary, no reason you can't buy your own property in 2 years if you're smart, use LISAs, etc. Then it's straight on paying off that student debt.
Reply 27
Original post by DarthRoar
Nah I'm not, and that's not true. You haven't provided any sources for those estimates, yet I will be providing solid ones for mine.

Average Engineering degree earnings are £36,950 by age 29, 8 years after graduation.

Even for Imperial and Oxbridge, earnings are around £50-55k, 8 years after graduation. Very few get on these courses, obviously.

Even degrees like business at Reading, or Economics at sussex, hardly top universities outpace earnings from engineering at Cambridge!

Of the top 100 courses for predicted earnings at 29, only 3 are engineering courses, and they're from Oxbridge and Imperial. 20 are Economics.

Whilst some engineering degrees may net you a decent starting salary, growth is clearly limited, outpaced by far less prestigious courses.

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/13731

ok buddy,

firstly the first bullet point pretty much agrees with what I said and you're countering your own statement. That' hardly less than £30k is it?

secondly, again, you're regurgitating what I said, you need to go to a top uni for engineering to get good money whereas for eco/finance any uni will give you good earnings. Thanks for backing up my point.

Lastly you failed to address what my main argument was: you might earn a lot but is that all of the equation? Have you seen job sanctification in the finance sector? It's the most suicidal sector out there, and I don't blame them. You're put alone in a cage in some tall tower where you look through spreadsheets and numbers on paper all day, everyday, 9 to 5, no freedom of expression, no progression, nothing. Is that really the life you want to live? If yes then I bet you are some foreigner that's trying to chase chase chase money and have no idea what a job like that can do to you're health and mentality. Go for it buddy, don't say I didn't warn you when you regret (inevitably) it.
Original post by D7E
firstly the first bullet point pretty much agrees with what I said and you're countering your own statement. That' hardly less than £30k is it?

secondly, again, you're regurgitating what I said, you need to go to a top uni for engineering to get good money whereas for eco/finance any uni will give you good earnings. Thanks for backing up my point.

Lastly you failed to address what my main argument was: you might earn a lot but is that all of the equation? Have you seen job sanctification in the finance sector? It's the most suicidal sector out there, and I don't blame them. You're put alone in a cage in some tall tower where you look through spreadsheets and numbers on paper all day, everyday, 9 to 5, no freedom of expression, no progression, nothing. Is that really the life you want to live? If yes then I bet you are some foreigner that's trying to chase chase chase money and have no idea what a job like that can do to you're health and mentality. Go for it buddy, don't say I didn't warn you when you regret (inevitably) it.

Yes, at some of the very top universities you may well be looking at 40-50k after 8 years which isn't too shabby, however those figures at 3 years you haven't sourced so I won't be accepting. Seeing as the average is 36k after 8 years. You are discounting the other 96% of universities after the top 5 and their salaries (which are quite paltry if you're looking for good money).

Yes, it seems we agree on that.

You've made a big argument here. There are some preconceptions about some finance roles, work-life balance, etc. Of course, there's absolutely no reason to believe Engineering has brilliant work-life balance, freedom of expression, progression (certainly far far less here actually) etc. This is only your personal opinion. Seeing as I'm interested in this sector I've actually looked it up, it's generally hard work but it's the Investment Bankers you've gotten your idea from. As an actual student, which you aren't, I've spoken to many engineering students and absolutely would not want to be doing their course, christ it looks soul-crushing.

I resent the assertion that I'm "some foreigner trying to chase money" that doesn't have a clue about anything. That's just silly and unconstructive.

Shame you've only got an offer from Southampton engineering, hardly a top 5!
the only conclusion from reading this thread is that career education is broken in this country and people have no idea what they're on about (bar one or two).
Reply 30
I think it is safe to say these people debating career progression and wages having not entered the real world are wholly delusional.
Trying to base your earnings on 'average' wage statistics is complete nonsense, and not representative of the real world.
Reply 31
Original post by Princepieman
the only conclusion from reading this thread is that career education is broken in this country and people have no idea what they're on about (bar one or two).

I believe non one really looks for job satisfaction anymore (included mua)
Reply 32
Original post by Molseh
I think it is safe to say these people debating career progression and wages having not entered the real world are wholly delusional.
Trying to base your earnings on 'average' wage statistics is complete nonsense, and not representative of the real world.

agree, if 200 people earn 500k and the remaining 800 earn 35k then buenas dias my dear averages
If you want to make money, your best bet is undoubtly Imperial. You don't have to become an engineer afterwards, but with an enginerring degree from Imperial any investment bank/tech company will want you on board.

From Wikipedia: "According to both the 2016 Guardian University Guide and the Complete University Guide, students were ranked as having the top employment prospects among UK universities.[119][120] As of 2014 the average starting salary of a graduate was the highest of any UK university.[121]"

I wouldn't have a dilema chosing between Imperial and Bristol.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Kinococo
If you want to make money, your best bet is undoubtly Imperial. You don't have to become an engineer afterwards, but with an enginerring degree from Imperial any investment bank/tech company will want you on board.

From Wikipedia: "According to both the 2016 Guardian University Guide and the Complete University Guide, students were ranked as having the top employment prospects among UK universities.[119][120] As of 2014 the average starting salary of a graduate was the highest of any UK university.[121]"

You probably just wrote that Wikipedia entry yourself :biggrin:
Original post by harrysbar
You probably just wrote that Wikipedia entry yourself :biggrin:

Damn, you caught me :cool:
Reply 36

cheers
Reply 37

so firm Imperial. bristol insurance
Original post by j.1.2
so firm Imperial. bristol insurance

As long as you feel you have the drive to complete three years of engineering, then yes, firm Imperial.

I can't stress enough to spend your first year exploring as many careers as possible. Many finance firms, invesment banks, asset managers etc. have spring week programs (these are a little competative but going to Imperial alongside a good CV will pretty much guarentee you at least one offer) Make sure to apply ASAP in September, as they can lead to potential summer internships. ALWAYS be early and ahead of the game.

From this point you can explore which well-paying fields you are interested in, a good paying job in an investment bank doens't always have to be investment banking. The way trading is heading, economics degress are becoming less valuable as the theory is easy to teach to an engineer. However the quantiatvie abilites of STEM graduates are much harder to soemone from an economics background.

Sorry for an spelling mistakes.
Reply 39
As long as you feel you have the drive to complete three years of engineering, then yes, firm Imperial.

I can't stress enough to spend your first year exploring as many careers as possible. Many finance firms, invesment banks, asset managers etc. have spring week programs (these are a little competative but going to Imperial alongside a good CV will pretty much guarentee you at least one offer) Make sure to apply ASAP in September, as they can lead to potential summer internships. ALWAYS be early and ahead of the game.

From this point you can explore which well-paying fields you are interested in, a good paying job in an investment bank doens't always have to be investment banking. The way trading is heading, economics degress are becoming less valuable as the theory is easy to teach to an engineer. However the quantiatvie abilites of STEM graduates are much harder to soemone from an economics background.

tnx for the great advice. no need to apologise for spellings

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending