The Student Room Group

which degree will make me the most bucks?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by salimyasin10
yh that wud make sense considering the offers your getting.
I have offers from like 4 grammars I aint getting into

doesnt matter where u go.
as long as you work for it and have something to write on you ps you are chilling
How am i chilling lol. Just asking.
Original post by j.1.2
doesnt matter where u go.
as long as you work for it and have something to write on you ps you are chilling
Original post by j.1.2
can you quote you link from where you got this data from

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/13731
Original post by Kinococo
Don't believe I've ever said that :smile:

I would attribute that to the fact that the majority of engineering graduates go into typical engineering jobs, which are known for paying poorly, whereas the majority of economics graduates would go into financial careers. If you look at recent(ish) numbers for IB front office analyst intake for banks such as Goldman and JP Morgan, Imperial has a higher proportion than Bristol, and that's without an economics undergraduate course.

Looking back at OP's question, if you want to earn a lot of money IB is the way to go, and Imperial (target uni) is objectivly better for securing an IB job than Bristol (could be a semi target for some banks, chances are very low), regardless of what subject you studied.

My apologies.

Indeed, the 'prestige' of universities is still very important in Investment Banking, I agree. Imperial will definitely be a help with that. Sources usually say you can get into IB from top universities with unrelated degrees, but they also say it's harder than if you took an appropriate degree.

It's a bit disingenuous to say Bristol and other such universities have very low chances. Actual research puts it and similar ones quite high on the rankings for getting into IB, just behind Oxbridge, LSE, and Imperial.

I still don't think you should do an engineering degree that you wont use. Studying a financial-related degree would set you up much better for knowledge of the field you actually want to work in.

https://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/199099/top-50-universities-getting-front-office-investment-banking-job
https://targetcareers.co.uk/uni/choices-about-uni/315803-top-universities-if-you-want-a-career-in-investment-banking
Duh. Theoretically a London Met student could outperform everyone. However, it's going to be a damn sight harder for them when they've missed out on the grad prospects of a better university. We aren't saying certain degrees dictate your life, just that they will help to varying amounts.
Reply 64
How am i chilling lol. Just asking.

My bad, I haven't used any punctuation.
I meant if yoi put in the work and do extra curricular stuff that you can mention in your application then you will be chilling.
(edited 4 years ago)
yh true, but in reality its all about the grades in the end
Original post by j.1.2
My bad, I haven't used any punctuation.
I meant if yoi put in the work and do extra curricular stuff that you can mention in your application then you will be chilling.
Reply 66
yh true, but in reality its all about the grades in the end

goal+work=grades+uni offer
It's impossible to say. The starting salaries of each are obviously something that can be discussed, but where your skills lie and how well you'll progress in your chosen career path as a result of that will determine how much you get paid in the long run.
Reply 68
Original post by j.1.2
Imperial C.L. - civil engineering
Unversity of Bristol - Economics and Management
Warwick university - Engineering Business Management
University of Bristol - Civil engineering

Just want your thougths, not judgements thanks.

Do you want to be an engineer or an economist or something else?

My thoughts are to pick a course you will enjoy - that's the way to find a career you also enjoy. Engineering course can led to a career in finance just as easily as one in economics or business - if that's the career path you are interested in.

You can't be an engineer with a degree in Economics. You can't be an economist with a degree in Engineering. But you can have a career in finance with a degree in anything. From any university.
Reply 69
Original post by j.1.2
basically, I originally applied for two coirses at Bristol- mechanical and civil. Got the offer for civil but because mech eng apready filled up and because my application was well regarded- they allowed me to pick any other course. So got offers for civ eng and eco from Bristol :smile:

Did the same for me, I asked them if they could put me in for the Mechanical and Electrical Engineering course, which they accepted. I'm suprised you're fine with switching from mechanical to civ eng to eco tbh, I ain't backing down from my mechanical offers lol

Quick Reply

Latest