A level MUSIC Bach Chorale exercises? Watch

violarun
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hello!

Does anyone have any good sites/books I can find Bach Chorale exercises I can do for revision?
Currently year 12..

Thanks
sean_73
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
http://choraleguide.com/index.php

This website here is a saviour, it gives you worksheets, cribsheets, dos and don'ts, its helping me harmonising my chorale right now

The method section outlines the best method to use when harmonising your chorale, the voice leading section outlines the best way to create nice voice leading, the dos and don'ts gives a table with the things you should try to add to your chorale and the things you should try and avoid, but by far and away the most useful section is the fingerprints section.

The fingerprint section has resources on how to do some of the progressions that Bach uses himself. These cadential progressions are super useful if you revise them, because when you start a chorale you can immediately notice "ah, that's a 2-2-1 cadence, I know what to do here". The website comes equipped with examples, and worksheets helping you work out what the progression is doing and how to write your own. The only problem I've found with it is that the midi files don't seem to work.

Anyways, sorry for long answer, but that's the go to revision source for bach chorales. Make sure you go onto the fingerprints section, print out the worksheets and work your way through them. And try harmonising your own chorales; my friend looks up a random chorale, takes the melody line and tries to harmonise it himself.

Hope that was helpful!
violarun
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by bsharpepiano)
Attachment 813214here is the unofficial A level bach chorale exam for 2019 (soprano line). The music group collectively remembered a phrase each
Wow! Thank you so much
violarun
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by sean_73)
http://choraleguide.com/index.php

This website here is a saviour, it gives you worksheets, cribsheets, dos and don'ts, its helping me harmonising my chorale right now

The method section outlines the best method to use when harmonising your chorale, the voice leading section outlines the best way to create nice voice leading, the dos and don'ts gives a table with the things you should try to add to your chorale and the things you should try and avoid, but by far and away the most useful section is the fingerprints section.

The fingerprint section has resources on how to do some of the progressions that Bach uses himself. These cadential progressions are super useful if you revise them, because when you start a chorale you can immediately notice "ah, that's a 2-2-1 cadence, I know what to do here". The website comes equipped with examples, and worksheets helping you work out what the progression is doing and how to write your own. The only problem I've found with it is that the midi files don't seem to work.

Anyways, sorry for long answer, but that's the go to revision source for bach chorales. Make sure you go onto the fingerprints section, print out the worksheets and work your way through them. And try harmonising your own chorales; my friend looks up a random chorale, takes the melody line and tries to harmonise it himself.

Hope that was helpful!
This is brilliant, thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.15%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.06%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.76%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.55%
There's nothing they could do (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads