Juvanile
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, so I am currently studying Computer Science and I am in my first year right now. As someone who was new to coding I was slightly worried but thought I could handle the course as they taught us coding from the beginning.

My first semester went fine as I only had 5 pieces of coursework and one exam. Only two of the coursework involved a heavy and a difficult amount of coding but I asked my uni mates for help. My exam was also manageable as it mostly involved maths rather than coding.

However, this semester has been a total nightmare for me. I had 6 pieces of coursework due in a month's time and they all involved a lot of coding and problem solving. This was when I realised that coding just isn't for me.

Next Friday is the the last day before the Easter break and it is also the day where I have to hand in my second last piece of coursework. I have come to the conclusion that I will try my best to finish the coursework but if I am unable to do it I will drop out but I am still unsure.

Is it a good idea to drop out before my last student loan payment is handed out to save some money or should I push through the year and drop out during the summer holidays? I also want to apply for another course in September if I do drop out so I feel like it'll be a good idea to drop out early and get that sorted out.

Thanks for your help!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Juvanile)
Hi, so I am currently studying Computer Science and I am in my first year right now. As someone who was new to coding I was slightly worried but thought I could handle the course as they taught us coding from the beginning.

My first semester went fine as I only had 5 pieces of coursework and one exam. Only two of the coursework involved a heavy and a difficult amount of coding but I asked my uni mates for help. My exam was also manageable as it mostly involved maths rather than coding.

However, this semester has been a total nightmare for me. I had 6 pieces of coursework due in a month's time and they all involved a lot of coding and problem solving. This was when I realised that coding just isn't for me.

Next Friday is the the last day before the Easter break and it is also the day where I have to hand in my second last piece of coursework. I have come to the conclusion that I will try my best to finish the coursework but if I am unable to do it I will drop out but I am still unsure.

Is it a good idea to drop out before my last student loan payment is handed out to save some money or should I push through the year and drop out during the summer holidays? I also want to apply for another course in September if I do drop out so I feel like it'll be a good idea to drop out early and get that sorted out.

Thanks for your help!
As soon as you drop out you cease to be a student and then any money paid beyond that period, then SFE will ask for it back as an overpayment.
You can ask them for 60 days discretionary payment.
You could avoid that plus maybe avoid third term final liability payment for fees.

On the other hand if you leave before payment you wont have any money plus you will still have to pay for accommodation. That will be normal debt where people chase you whereas the former is going to be like part student debt and part you making a repayment plan.

If you leave for compelling personal reasons illness depression personal crisis etc, then you can try and get your years finance disregarded.

You also have a gift year, which allows one insurance year in case of change of course, fail exams , illness etc.

I might last the year or even better become depressed etc and last into third term but see the GP regularly so if you are depressed you drop out for that reason and have a chance of reclaiming in the future. That would mean no chasing of money by sfe and accommodation saved.

I would then take a gap an figure out what you really want to do. You can afford another false start and need to choose the right degree rather than rush into the wrong one. Sounds like you should have chosen your degree with foundation year.
winterscoming
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You're not really going to save very much money from dropping out before the final student loan payment because you've already paid the full tuition fee for the year which you won't be refunded. If you complete the year successfully, then you will be eligible for a Level 4 CertHE diploma at the end, so I'd suggest holding out for that (Much better to finish the year and have something to show for it at the end)

Specifically on programming, that's a progressive skill which is really all about practice, but you need to take a sensible approach to learning as well. If you've reached the end of the first year and have found it difficult the whole time then it might be that you reached a point where the course material had overtaken you, and you've ended up with coursework which you weren't ready for.

Have you ever been shown how to use a debugger for any of the programming languages you're using? It seems to be really common for students to be thrown into programming without ever being taught how to troubleshoot and fix code when it's not working -- a debugger takes about 15 minutes to learn but tends to make a huge difference when it comes to understanding what the code you're writing is really doing.

Also, if you're struggling with it now then I'd recommend going back to some simpler, earlier material and make sure that you're confident with all the basics. Programming is mostly about computational thinking, but you still need to get a firm grasp on the syntax and structure of the programming language(s) you're using, and reach a point where you can understand the jargon/terminology as well.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Thanks for your help!
Have you sought help with your difficulties with the course or spoken to your personal tutor about the way you are feeling?

You mention that you want to apply for another course - is it the same degree subject as your current one?
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by winterscoming)
You're not really going to save very much money from dropping out before the final student loan payment because you've already paid the full tuition fee for the year which you won't be refunded. If you complete the year successfully, then you will be eligible for a Level 4 CertHE diploma at the end, so I'd suggest holding out for that (Much better to finish the year and have something to show for it at the end)

Specifically on programming, that's a progressive skill which is really all about practice, but you need to take a sensible approach to learning as well. If you've reached the end of the first year and have found it difficult the whole time then it might be that you reached a point where the course material had overtaken you, and you've ended up with coursework which you weren't ready for.

Have you ever been shown how to use a debugger for any of the programming languages you're using? It seems to be really common for students to be thrown into programming without ever being taught how to troubleshoot and fix code when it's not working -- a debugger takes about 15 minutes to learn but tends to make a huge difference when it comes to understanding what the code you're writing is really doing.

Also, if you're struggling with it now then I'd recommend going back to some simpler, earlier material and make sure that you're confident with all the basics. Programming is mostly about computational thinking, but you still need to get a firm grasp on the syntax and structure of the programming language(s) you're using, and reach a point where you can understand the jargon/terminology as well.
Normally depending on the date then non attendance for final term means a 25% discount on fees. Not going to be here nor there if you never earn enough to pay it back anyway.

See abobe for other reasons why not always in your interest to finish.
Juvanile
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
You're right, I should complete the year and at least get something out of it. I have been trying to watch youtube tutorials and I bought some books but I still find it difficult and I just don't find it fun anymore. Should I drop out after I get my results back or should I drop out after I complete my exams? Should I also apply to another uni right now or will I have to wait till I drop out of the current uni I am in?
(Original post by winterscoming)

winterscoming
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You're right, I should complete the year and at least get something out of it. I have been trying to watch youtube tutorials and I bought some books but I still find it difficult and I just don't find it fun anymore. Should I drop out after I get my results back or should I drop out after I complete my exams? Should I also apply to another uni right now or will I have to wait till I drop out of the current uni I am in?
If you complete all your exams then you won't be dropping out, you'd be completing the year and not enrolling on to the next one (normally at the start of the 2nd year you'd go through the enrolment process for that year, just like you did for this one)

It would be a good idea to talk to the university ASAP and letting them know that you don't intend to continue the course next year, then see if they can help you with your options - if you're looking at transferring to a different course now you need to find out what's available sooner rather than later; such as whether the course you're thinking of transferring onto even has any places available, or if it's a different university then talking to them as well, etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads