ewaqairavoka
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I am really interested in this role in the RAF. I am in year 11 currently, and I am about to do my GCSE's soon After I get my results for my GCSE's am I able to apply for this role straight after GCSE's? Thanks
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ewaqairavoka)
I am really interested in this role in the RAF. I am in year 11 currently, and I am about to do my GCSE's soon After I get my results for my GCSE's am I able to apply for this role straight after GCSE's? Thanks
You won’t be able to join as a nurse straight after GCSEs. You can either join as a student nurse, which you’ll need 120 UCAS points minimum or you can go to university yourself and study nursing then join after university as a registered nurse. Either way, you’re going to need to get the required qualifications to get a place at university to study nursing.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/r...nt-nurse-adult
RAF_Adam
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi

You've got four options for Nursing in the RAF.

First, you can apply for the Student Nurse role. You apply and go through the RAF Recruitment process and join the RAF and after basic training you'll start your nursing degree and be paid by the RAF to do it. You'll then be posted to a station or to a hospital to do the role on successful completion. Slots for this role are very limited each year (understandably).

Second & third, you can do the nursing degree yourself and then apply for the Registered Nurse Adult or Mental Health roles after you have the relevant experience required.

Fourth, you can wait a few years after you graduate and gain more experience and then apply as a Nursing Officer.

Full details of entry requirements for each role are listed on each role page on the RAF Recruitment website:

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
ewaqairavoka
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for the quick reply, that is so helpful. So if I was to go with the first option and start my nursing degree whilst the RAF funds me, is there a specific place I will study? and How many roles are (roughly) avaliable each year?

Sincere Regards,
- Emelina
(Original post by RAF_Adam)
Hi

You've got four options for Nursing in the RAF.

First, you can apply for the Student Nurse role. You apply and go through the RAF Recruitment process and join the RAF and after basic training you'll start your nursing degree and be paid by the RAF to do it. You'll then be posted to a station or to a hospital to do the role on successful completion. Slots for this role are very limited each year (understandably).

Second & third, you can do the nursing degree yourself and then apply for the Registered Nurse Adult or Mental Health roles after you have the relevant experience required.

Fourth, you can wait a few years after you graduate and gain more experience and then apply as a Nursing Officer.

Full details of entry requirements for each role are listed on each role page on the RAF Recruitment website:

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
ewaqairavoka
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for the advice
(Original post by moonkatt)
You won’t be able to join as a nurse straight after GCSEs. You can either join as a student nurse, which you’ll need 120 UCAS points minimum or you can go to university yourself and study nursing then join after university as a registered nurse. Either way, you’re going to need to get the required qualifications to get a place at university to study nursing.

RAF_Adam
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thank you so much for the quick reply, that is so helpful. So if I was to go with the first option and start my nursing degree whilst the RAF funds me, is there a specific place I will study? and How many roles are (roughly) avaliable each year?

Sincere Regards,
- Emelina
Hi

You should have a GOOD read through all of the information on the role page on the RAF Recruitment website I linked to. The answer to your question is there. With regards to spaces, that will alter year on year. It is very competitive (obviously) as it's a good opportunity. If you send me a DM I can give you contact details for the Nursing Liaison Team who can give you more detailed advice.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thank you so much for the advice
You’re welcome. If you are interested in military nursing, then joining as a student nurse is probably (in my opinion) one of the best ways to study nursing. You’re paid a salary compared to your civilian peers, have accommodation provided and can end up with some more unusual placements (I had friends who went to Cyprus for primary care). Obviously, there is the military side of life you have to engage in as well as your studies, but that’s the path you’ve chosen, and you’re being paid for it. While I don’t regret the choices I made with regards to my military service, now that I’m a nurse I do sometimes wonder what would have happened had I followed that path in the careers office.

Good luck
ewaqairavoka
Rep:
?
Thank you so so much, honestly it means alot and I really do appriciate your advice. I will try my hardest to do well in my GCSEs as well as keeping up my fitness. I hope I fulfil this career, as I am so passionate about this career path.
Again many thanks and kind regards,
-Emelina
ewaqairavoka
Rep:
?
(Original post by RAF_Adam)
Hi

You should have a GOOD read through all of the information on the role page on the RAF Recruitment website I linked to. The answer to your question is there. With regards to spaces, that will alter year on year. It is very competitive (obviously) as it's a good opportunity. If you send me a DM I can give you contact details for the Nursing Liaison Team who can give you more detailed advice.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Hey

Thank you loads for this advice and help you have provided me.
Where am I able to send you a DM?
Again Many Thanks and Kind Regards,
-Emelina
RAF_Adam
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey

Thank you loads for this advice and help you have provided me.
Where am I able to send you a DM?
Again Many Thanks and Kind Regards,
-Emelina
Hi

You can send a DM via here.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (220)
23.63%
Pop (231)
24.81%
Jazz (35)
3.76%
Classical (56)
6.02%
Hip-Hop (174)
18.69%
Electronic (62)
6.66%
Indie (153)
16.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise