Still unsure what I want to do after GCSE Watch

Tam009
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
So i was wondering to do an apprenticeship after GCSE is that possible or do I have to go college and do BTEC/Alevels ?

Furthermore, if later on i do decide to go university would it be possible to go university with the qualification I earn from apprenticeship?

National Apprenticeships Service

National Careers Service
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Tam009; 2 months ago
National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi Tam,

Thanks for your question.

It is possible to go from GCSE to an apprenticeship at either level 2 or 3, some employers may ask you to start on the level 2 to help you get a grasp of the specific industry you're working in before progressing you onto the level 3. You could then progress to level 4 and upwards.

If you were to go on and do Alevels or a BTEC (which are level 3) what you could then do are higher and degree level apprenticeships afterwards at levels 4, 5 and 6 (possibly 7).

If you wanted to do an apprenticeship and then go to university it would very much depend on the type of qualification you do as part of your apprenticeship. Typically speaking vocational qualifications like NVQs don't help you gain UCAS points which is what you need for entry onto a degree so it can be difficult to make the jump from apprenticeship to uni. If you were to do a BTEC as part of the apprenticeship or do a level 4 or 5 you could then top up your qualifications at university.

What's important to point out here is that if you were to do a level 6 apprenticeship later down the line this would be a degree qualification accredited by a university and you may even spend some of your time at a local university as part of the qualification element of the apprenticeship.

Do you know what type of apprenticeship you would like to do?

Thanks - Sophie.
tee3434
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by National Careers Service)
Hi Tam,

Thanks for your question.

It is possible to go from GCSE to an apprenticeship at either level 2 or 3, some employers may ask you to start on the level 2 to help you get a grasp of the specific industry you're working in before progressing you onto the level 3. You could then progress to level 4 and upwards.

If you were to go on and do Alevels or a BTEC (which are level 3) what you could then do are higher and degree level apprenticeships afterwards at levels 4, 5 and 6 (possibly 7).

If you wanted to do an apprenticeship and then go to university it would very much depend on the type of qualification you do as part of your apprenticeship. Typically speaking vocational qualifications like NVQs don't help you gain UCAS points which is what you need for entry onto a degree so it can be difficult to make the jump from apprenticeship to uni. If you were to do a BTEC as part of the apprenticeship or do a level 4 or 5 you could then top up your qualifications at university.

What's important to point out here is that if you were to do a level 6 apprenticeship later down the line this would be a degree qualification accredited by a university and you may even spend some of your time at a local university as part of the qualification element of the apprenticeship.

Do you know what type of apprenticeship you would like to do?

Thanks - Sophie.
Where can I find apprenticeships that do a BTEC as part of the apprenticeship
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by tee3434)
Where can I find apprenticeships that do a BTEC as part of the apprenticeship
Hi there,

It will depend on the employer as to what qualification they are offering so it make some research to find the right one for you.

We would recommend starting with https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship

Each vacancy will tell you what qualification you would be working towards as part of the apprenticeship.

I hope this helps - Sophie.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (277)
15.47%
The paper was reasonable (995)
55.59%
Not feeling great about that exam... (384)
21.45%
It was TERRIBLE (134)
7.49%

Watched Threads