RChelol
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Firstly this is demonstrated where Stevenson describes Jekyll duality complex as a “devil that had been long caged, and came out roaring”. From the use of a hyperbole, Stevenson is emphasising Hydes evil side as cumulating to an extent I’m which he can no longer control. This impression is given through the comparison of Jekyll’s hidden alter ego, to being “long caged” Furthermore the common noun “caged” and the verb “roaring”, Hyde is insinuated as an animal who is trapped and confined. This illustrates Hyde as violent, as caged animals are usually more aggressive because of their lack of free will. In addition this is interpretation is reinforced by Stevensons from the ‘Origin of Species’ by Charles Darwin. Darwin stated that humans have a common ancestor with ape while discrediting the Christian view of God creating man in-his image. Perhaps Stevenson uses this to reveal how Hydes tendencies are normal. Linking to where Stevenson uses a simile, to reiterate how Natural in nature it is to be “ape-like”, therefore justifying Hydes actions. On the one hand this may demonstrate that hyde is violent, as a result of repression to fit into society an “conceal” pleasures. Alternatively Stevenson could be conveying violence inevitable, therefore normalising the Hydes actions. Overall, forcing the reader to reflect on the secrecy within themselves and how close they are to revealing their inner Hyde.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (157)
59.47%
No I haven't decided yet (61)
23.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (46)
17.42%

Watched Threads