The Student Room Group

Has anyone here taken a gap year purely to work AND moved out during it?

So I've decided that whilst I want to go to uni, I want to take a gap year. The main reason for this is I just want a year break from education. I would probably be working full time (around 30 hrs) and I would have more time to spend on my hobbies (boxing) during this gap year hopefully. However, I also absolutely hate half the people I live with (dysfunctional household) so I will definitely not be wanting to live here for another year. Here is where working full time will help, because I've done the maths and about half the money I'll be making will be spent on a small flat which is nothing special however is in a very good location. So overall, during this gap year I will have a years break from education, however I will still be keeping myself busy with work and hobbies, while also moving out of my current *****y house. Has anyone done this?
Original post by Jdubby26
So I've decided that whilst I want to go to uni, I want to take a gap year. The main reason for this is I just want a year break from education. I would probably be working full time (around 30 hrs) and I would have more time to spend on my hobbies (boxing) during this gap year hopefully. However, I also absolutely hate half the people I live with (dysfunctional household) so I will definitely not be wanting to live here for another year. Here is where working full time will help, because I've done the maths and about half the money I'll be making will be spent on a small flat which is nothing special however is in a very good location. So overall, during this gap year I will have a years break from education, however I will still be keeping myself busy with work and hobbies, while also moving out of my current *****y house. Has anyone done this?

Many years ago, before I went to university, I worked full time in a job that I pretty much hated, to save up some money. During that time I read everything I possibly could. When I turned up at university I had a head start of a year's reading on my peers, and a little bit of money saved up, which made life much easier. It was also great in terms of learning some life skills, and acquiring a reference which made gaining employment post university much easier. Good luck to you. You seem to have a plan, and that is always a good thing.

Quick Reply

Latest