The Student Room Group

Which has a higher boiling point ? (CH3)3N or CH3NH2 ?

It's probably unfair to compare two molecules of 2 very different molecular masses but isn't the strength of the hydrogen bonds in methylamine enough to give it a higher boiling point than (CH3)3N ?
(CH3)3N b.pt = 2.87 oC

CH3NH2 b.pt = -6 oC

The additional 28 Mr is sufficient to increase the strength of Van der Waals (Londons) forces to overcome the effect of the H bonding in CH3NH2
Original post by Leah.J
It's probably unfair to compare two molecules of 2 very different molecular masses but isn't the strength of the hydrogen bonds in methylamine enough to give it a higher boiling point than (CH3)3N ?

Chemistry is empirical.

You look up the data and then you explain it using your background knowledge.
Reply 3
Original post by charco
Chemistry is empirical.

You look up the data and then you explain it using your background knowledge.

But there are so many exceptions with chemistry, so many unexpected stuff too. Besides, predictions and hypothesis are important . I'm 17, I wouldn't be able to confirm my own predictions, I thought CH3NH2 had a higher boiling point, I asked, turns out I'm wrong, cool.
I honestly don't know what your point is :biggrin: but I asked on a site where the chance that an a level teacher who knows the answer to this answers me.
p.s, I tried googling it before asking but I couldn't find the boiling point of (CH3)3N and qoura (the website) said that CH3NH2 had a higher bp, so I wanted to ascertain that and couldn't.
Original post by Leah.J
But there are so many exceptions with chemistry, so many unexpected stuff too. Besides, predictions and hypothesis are important . I'm 17, I wouldn't be able to confirm my own predictions, I thought CH3NH2 had a higher boiling point, I asked, turns out I'm wrong, cool.
I honestly don't know what your point is :biggrin: but I asked on a site where the chance that an a level teacher who knows the answer to this answers me.
p.s, I tried googling it before asking but I couldn't find the boiling point of (CH3)3N and qoura (the website) said that CH3NH2 had a higher bp, so I wanted to ascertain that and couldn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trimethylamine

Quick Reply

Latest