Bentil11
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
what is speciation? why don't scientist agree on a single definition of species?
chazwomaq
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Speciation is the process by which new species are produced via evolution. This can occur in several ways e.g. sympatric (in the same palce) or allopatric (by a geographical split).

The definition of a species is tricky because of partial fertility. In the old days most ideas of species were just based on what organisms looked like. But as natural historians became more scientific we needed a more precise definition. A popular one is the biological species concept - a species is a group of organisms that can interbreed to produce fertile offspring.

That's fine, except fertility is not binary. Horses and donkeys are an example. They are usually considered different species because although they can interbreed and produce mules, the mules cannot reproduce. Except they can, rarely. So are horses and donkeys really different species?

Or take lions and tigers. We normally think of them as different species, but they can interbreed quite happily in captivity and produce quite fertile tions and ligers. The only reason they don't in nature is because their habitats are well separated. So are lions and tigers the same species?

The truth is, the species concept is fuzzy and trying to draw human lines across nature that is actually blurred is not straightforward.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
also Neanderthals and Homo Erectus... they had relationships and produced children. even to this day Neanderthal genes are to be found in our communities.

Spoiler:
Show
Name:  tsrbrexiteers.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  32.2 KB
Bentil11
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (58)
29.59%
No - I have already returned home (24)
12.24%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (44)
22.45%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (18)
9.18%
No - I live at home during term anyway (52)
26.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed