Studying OPEN university full-time and working full-time? Watch

tscooper1988
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hello

I am looking to enrol on the BA (Honours) Business Management (Innovation and Enterprise) course in October 2019.

I am thinking of trying to study the first stage full-time whilst also working full-time, my rationale being that this level will be easier.

Looking for any advice from anyone who has done this? Is it doable to study full-time and work full-time and how do you manage it?

Thanks

Tom
Fwd
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi!

Yes, it's doable of course, even more so if you have recently been a student (A Levels, Uni etc), and if you're super organised and know how to utilise your time

It will be more difficult if you haven't been a student for a while, and/or are totally new to the subject area. It will probably be more difficult if your job is stress inducing and you have a family as well.

The OU says full time study should normally be around 32 - 36 hours per week, that's around 6 to 7 hours a day of study if you have both weekend days off. So maybe try adding those hours + your work hours and see if you have enough time! Of course, some people do end up with amazing grades by studying much less per week, maybe around 23... 24, 25 hours, but during TMAs and exam times most people are studying a lot more, and if you are studying 2 modules at a time you do have quite a lot of TMAs and other assessments, etc.

If you haven't been a student recently and haven't got recent experience in full or part time study, I'd personally not recommend working full time + studying full time, but you will know what you can or can't do
Tasha Hogan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I currently work full time (9-5:30) and am going into my second year which is a full time Batchelor's in English Literature and Creative Writing. It is manageable, especially in first year. Just make room throughout your day as well as the evening to study. if possible do it in your lunch breaks, on your commute, quiet days at work and in the evenings. Say goodbye to social life, but to be fair it is between October and May which is when people tend to stay in anyways! Just make sure you stay dedicated to it and keep to a schedule and it should be okay. If you just do it when you feel like it, it is hard to maintain. Also speak to those on the course with you online as support helps keep the motivation going. Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (334)
15.62%
The paper was reasonable (1166)
54.54%
Not feeling great about that exam... (462)
21.61%
It was TERRIBLE (176)
8.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed