Joe Biden blames 'the white man's culture' for sexual assaults Watch

AngeryPenguin
Badges: 17
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Former U.S. Vice President Joseph R. Biden on Tuesday blamed “white man’s culture” for the persistence of sexual assaults against women in America.

“It’s an institution, a culture, a white man’s culture. It’s got to change,” Mr. Biden said at an award ceremony for students working to end rape on college campuses.

He took on the culture of men and white men in particular as he prepared to enter a crowded Democratic presidential race, which includes several women and black candidates.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...exual-assault/

This is in the wake of sexual assault allegations against himself.

I'm not sure how substantial these allegations are, but I am cynical enough to think this statement is an attempt by Biden to deflect the blame for the actions he is being accused of onto simply being a product of his environment. A bit of a cop out, imo.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What is "white man's culture"?

There's no shared culture between white people, let alone white men.

There are many toxic men out there who have very awful opinions on sexual assault/harassment but this certainly doesn't reflect all men, be it in the US or otherwise.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Is Biden transracial, from spending all that time with the Obamas? Lad doesn't realise he's also white.
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
understand where he's coming from but terrible way to word it, ignorant of himself and demonises a person simply for being a white man...
Toki the Dumdum
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Playing into the 'cis white males are the worst' narrative is the best thing he could've done. Doesn't really matter if there's no truth to it.

He probably should have made the twitter apology that he's made today first though.
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Something tells me that taking a Swipe at one of the largest chunks of the U.S population isn’t a good move.
Last edited by Andrew97; 2 weeks ago
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Considering that 63% of reported rapes in the US are committed by whites according to a 2014 study, despite more than 70% of the country being white... I'd not say that's entirely accurate.
Last edited by It's****ingWOODY; 2 weeks ago
z-hog
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
He's just casting the net among voters he needs to get on board but he will be shot down by them instead, they want a woman and will do their best to sabotage him. The Democrats are at the early stages of a morphing process, the old guard will soon be replaced by the grassroots they have sown and the US will be a much different place in a century, top candidate for a break-up before that. They keep erecting fences between people with their so-called education system and that is what is to be expected. Let's hope it never gets here.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by z-hog)
they want a woman and will do their best to sabotage him.
You're on to something here... it's time for people like Joe Biden to realise that they'll never be black, nor female, nor any other fashionable minority. There's no point in losing all of one's dignity to pursue that vote.
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Will Joe also be talking about some other statistics? something about a certain 13%
yudothis
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
*cishet
(Original post by Toki the Dumdum)
Playing into the 'cis white males are the worst' narrative is the best thing he could've done. Doesn't really matter if there's no truth to it.

He probably should have made the twitter apology that he's made today first though.
yudothis
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think that's not what he means, but rather the "I can do whatever I want, even make women uncomfortable because I'm the baws".
(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
Considering that 63% of reported rapes in the US are committed by whites according to a 2014 study, despite more than 70% of the country being white... I'd not say that's entirely accurate.
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
a witchhunt by the GOP and failing Democrats... yes he need to change his attitude, but this was well publicised/made fun of, but choose to bring it in as the 2020 campaign starts? :confused:

gotta love the memes too

looloo2134
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you go to any America university you find both male/female students behaving badly they have large house parties were people are drinking too, do drugs and have sex. When I was in the US I went to a college party and was shocked by the behave of some of the students both male/female.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Is the Democratic party run by idiots at the moment? Here they have an absolutely appalling dolt in the White House, who has won on the backs of the white working class - and senior Democrats seem determined to even further alienate this enormous block of voters.

Hillary Clinton was a prime example of right-on, holier-than-thou, too-clever-by-half, buy-into-any-progressive-sounding-idea-no-matter-how-loopy American liberalism. She tested the theory to destruction. If the Democrats stubbornly refuse to learn from that, then Trump is as much their creation as anyone else's.
JinChang
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I thought Warren was their 2020 contender?
artful_lounger
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

does he blame this for his own...?
Last edited by artful_lounger; 6 days ago
artful_lounger
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JinChang)
In the US system you have a set of primary elections per party (which is just the two of them) for who will be that party's nomination for president. So the DNC will have multiple people running in the primaries for the nomination, and then the actual presidential race will be between two candidates (discounting an write in candidates etc who are not realistic prospects).
Just my opinion
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AperfectBalance)
Will Joe also be talking about some other statistics? something about a certain 13%
Good point, but it is way smaller than that.
Women normally don't rape/sexually assault, so that takes it down to 6% and generally boys and old men don't rape, so that takes it down to in the region of 3-4%.
They sure are busy.
Last edited by Just my opinion; 2 weeks ago
AngeryPenguin
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by JinChang)
Biden is leading the polls by a mile, followed by Sanders, followed by Kamela Harris, then Elizabeth Warren.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (224)
39.23%
No - but I will (40)
7.01%
No - I don't want to (39)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (268)
46.94%

Watched Threads