I'm 28 Years old and work in Cyber Security AMA

Watch
inspireyou
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey everyone, I work in Cyber Security AMA and I'll try and help!
hello_shawn
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is your job 9 to 5? How do you commute?
inspireyou
Rep:
?
(Original post by hello_shawn)
Is your job 9 to 5? How do you commute?
I'm super lucky as I get to work from home everyday!
I can work any hours I want as long as I get my work done but usually 9am - 5pm
Last edited by inspireyou; 1 year ago
Daybd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you have to constantly learn new technologies to keep up to date or is it chill?
Also, is your salary good (ignore if very personal lol)?
Asking because I am enrolling in a CS course this year
Aran2121
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What's progression like in cyber security? It's a hot topic these days for firms.
xyolox
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As mentioned by the above post(s), what is the progression and salary like?
inspireyou
Rep:
?
(Original post by Daybd)
Do you have to constantly learn new technologies to keep up to date or is it chill?
Also, is your salary good (ignore if very personal lol)?
Asking because I am enrolling in a CS course this year
Yes definitely, unlike most other jobs you have to constantly research the latest threats!

My salary is almost 6 figures so cyber does pay well! But without hard work you won't get anywhere so it's not been without its challenges and I'm not going to say my job is easy

You definitely have to keep studying and taking exams I'm actually sitting a professional cert exam next week
inspireyou
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aran2121)
What's progression like in cyber security? It's a hot topic these days for firms.
It's really good, as long as you have the passion you'll go far.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
are free anti-malware products just as effective as paid for ones ? i mean for a typical home user, not the CIA etc.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What place do automated siem tools have in today's world vs analyst based correlation? :holmes:
inspireyou
Rep:
?
(Original post by xyolox)
As mentioned by the above post(s), what is the progression and salary like?
In 2016 Junior Analyst £30K
2017 Senior Analyst £50K
2018 Lead Analyst £70K
2019 UK Global Lead Analyst X
inspireyou
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
are free anti-malware products just as effective as paid for ones ? i mean for a typical home user, not the CIA etc.
For typical homes users I would say a decent free product is just as effective as a paid product

If you look at Antivirus I would highly recommend Avast, as they have so many users they have the most data (endpoints) and can develop newer signatures.
inspireyou
Rep:
?
(Original post by 8472)
What place do automated siem tools have in today's world vs analyst based correlation? :holmes:
An automated SIEM tool will only be as good as the person who developed it, there is no substitute for a human who has baselined the environment and knows good from bad within the specific environment.

I would only recommend an automated SIEM tool for an SME who does not have the budget to have a dedicated cyber security team
username4355882
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by the bear)
PRSOM :rofl:
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by inspireyou)
An automated SIEM tool will only be as good as the person who developed it, there is no substitute for a human who has baselined the environment and knows good from bad within the specific environment.

I would only recommend an automated SIEM tool for an SME who does not have the budget to have a dedicated cyber security team
OP checks out with title. I approve :yy:
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by inspireyou)
For typical homes users I would say a decent free product is just as effective as a paid product

If you look at Antivirus I would highly recommend Avast, as they have so many users they have the most data (endpoints) and can develop newer signatures.
i have used various products over the years including AVG, Zone Alarm, Malwarebytes & currently Comodo with cryptoprevent. i have not suffered any major problems so far. i have not tried Avast yet
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you have a degree? If so, do you think having a degree was necessary for your position, and have the skills that you learnt in your degree relevant and useful to what you're doing now?
loginrunner
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How and when did you become interested/get into cyber security in the first place?
inspireyou
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Do you have a degree? If so, do you think having a degree was necessary for your position, and have the skills that you learnt in your degree relevant and useful to what you're doing now?
Yes I have a degree in Computer Science, there was only 1 module vaguely related to Cyber Security so only a small part of my degree is relates to the work I now do.

I think going forward if you did want a career in Cyber Security a degree isn't mandatory but does help. When I hire people I look for passion and as long as you can display that passion you'll do well!
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what type of websites should TSR members avoid to prevent malware disasters ?

:holmes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (151)
14.46%
I'm not sure (45)
4.31%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (311)
29.79%
I have already dropped out (27)
2.59%
I'm not a current university student (510)
48.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed