LGBTQ+ Watch

happyqueer123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Wondering what it's like to study at Bristol University as an LGBTQ+ identifying person. Can't find much online. Any pointers or experiences welcome. Does it feel like a good place to be queer?
Viv_M
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by happyqueer123)
Wondering what it's like to study at Bristol University as an LGBTQ+ identifying person. Can't find much online. Any pointers or experiences welcome. Does it feel like a good place to be queer?
I'm going to Bristol this September. Am feeling quite nervous too as I'm also from LGBT community.. Have done plenty of research about the school and the city...results look quite positive so far. Uni has LGBT+ Society and related support. The city itself seems to be one of the top 10 most-friendly LGBT cities, and there are some LGBT friendly churches and of course some LGBT festivals. Hope this helps.
Nye2001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by happyqueer123)
I'm LGBT so there will definitely be quite a few of us!
username3973192
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Nye2001)
I'm LGBT so there will definitely be quite a few of us!
3 is not "quite a few"
RatherBigPene
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
LGBTQ stands for Let's Go Bully The Queers
Nye2001
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by thestudent33)
3 is not "quite a few"
oh you are right - I do not know how I did not realise.
StealingThunder
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
My friend is at Bristol, we are both bi and quite active in LGBT community. Her experience so far has been that, compared to London (where I’m at uni and we’ve both grown up) it feels a bit more backwards. There are still lots of open people etc but not thaaat many lgbt events and some quite homophobic people. (But I guess they exist wherever you go). Whereas at my uni there are monthly lgbt coffee meetings and an lgbt club nights, haven’t faced any homophobia so far.
Basically it’s not a super exciting lgbt scene but you’re quite unlikely to actually face any serious abuse above the norm for the Uk.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
felixxeli
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There aren't many events as such but there are lots of groups etc as well as bars and club nights. Hang around Old Market and you'll find the gay stuff
ihatePE
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Bristol is queer heaven. on top of LGBT+ activism, bristol in general is an activist city. having said that you'll get the occasional lad making ''banter'' and calling his mates gay or whatnot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Sep '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 6 Nov '19

Are cats selfish

Yes (138)
61.33%
No (87)
38.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise