Commuting to university of Southampton 2019 Watch

sciencequestion8
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ll be commuting from home to Southampton uni from September 2019 as I’m going to be living at home. So is there anyone else who will also be commuting to Southampton uni as well??
hanewsham
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey. I'm considering doing this in 2020 (if I get in), do you know if there are any societies for commuters?? Good luck and let me know how it goes, bit worried lol.
sciencequestion8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m not sure If there is or not. How far will you be commuting??
hanewsham
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
20/25 mins if I'm in a car or 1 hour ish by train. What about you?
(Original post by sciencequestion8)
I’m not sure If there is or not. How far will you be commuting??
Last edited by hanewsham; 4 weeks ago
sciencequestion8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
About an hour by car
Clumby
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Please note: Not an official rep

To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any "Commuter societies". That being said, I know a few people who commute in, one from quite far and one local. Both of which belong to multiple Societies, they're usually well planned, with events being organised sometimes weeks in advance, so planning how you can attend is relatively easy.
hanewsham
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thanks

Do you know if they think commuting was a good decision?? or are there any regrets?
(Original post by Clumby)
Please note: Not an official rep

To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any "Commuter societies". That being said, I know a few people who commute in, one from quite far and one local. Both of which belong to multiple Societies, they're usually well planned, with events being organised sometimes weeks in advance, so planning how you can attend is relatively easy.
Clumby
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’ve never asked them this directly, but from what I can tell:

It really depends on how far you’re commuting from.

One person I know essentially live a 10 minute drive away from campus, this makes it easy to commute in, easy to attend societies etc...

The other I know, who livs about a 20 minute train and 20 minute bus from campus, although I don’t like to speak on behalf of people, would view it differently.

I believe for them, it’s quite a commitment coming into uni some days due to the effort (and cost). I’ve seen it before where they’ll stay on campus between lectures for often upwards of 6 hours. If you’re someone who enjoys studying in a library, then that’s great, but if not I’d be wary.

(Original post by hanewsham)
Thanks

Do you know if they think commuting was a good decision?? or are there any regrets?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (290)
25.85%
The paper was reasonable (486)
43.32%
Not feeling great about that exam (225)
20.05%
It was TERRIBLE (121)
10.78%

Watched Threads