The Student Room Group

Second degree

Hi, I need advice if whether or not I would be elegible for tuition fees funding /loan, if I'm studying dietetics as a second degree. I have an unconditional offer, but worried about funding . I already called Student finance and they said that I am entitled to nothing because I already have a degree.But, I've read that this course is funded and its an exemption. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-bursary-reform/nhs-bursary-reform
Maybe is different for Northern Ireland? I am an EU national, but living in Northern Ireland for 4 years. I already have a degree in Biology, but hasn't been useful so far, so I want to study something else.
Thanks a lot!
Original post by diet_92
Hi, I need advice if whether or not I would be elegible for tuition fees funding /loan, if I'm studying dietetics as a second degree. I have an unconditional offer, but worried about funding . I already called Student finance and they said that I am entitled to nothing because I already have a degree.But, I've read that this course is funded and its an exemption. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-bursary-reform/nhs-bursary-reform
Maybe is different for Northern Ireland? I am an EU national, but living in Northern Ireland for 4 years. I already have a degree in Biology, but hasn't been useful so far, so I want to study something else.
Thanks a lot!

Hello,

As of 17/18 Academic Year Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health Professional (AHP) courses no longer receive a bursary funding from the NHS and will instead receive regular Student Finance England support.

Allied Health Professional Courses are healthcare courses. A full list of these types of courses can be found below;
Chiropody
Dietetics
Dietetics and Nutrition
Occupational Therapy
Operating Department Practice(Diplomas and Degrees)
Orthoptics
Physiotherapy
Podiatry
Prosthetics and Orthotics
Radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
Radiotherapy
Speech and Language Therapy

Allied Health Professional Courses are exempt from previous study and Equivalent Level Qualification rules, therefore if you already hold a degree or have previous study you will still be eligible to access funding.
I would suggest you discuss your query with Student Finance Northern Ireland, regarding there eligibility. http://ow.ly/AaEY30ok3Hh

Thanks, Lynsey.
Hi LynseyDoes that include undergraduate AHP courses? As a lot of the general statements I can find go along the lines of 'New postgraduate pre-registration nursing, midwifery and allied health professional students can access loans from the Student Loans Company'. For physiotherapy the pre-registration courses are at MSc level, which I wouldn't meet the entry criteria for as my first degree is not in a science subject. I would be trying to fund a BSc.ThanksDanielle
Original post by wiggly_fish
Hi LynseyDoes that include undergraduate AHP courses? As a lot of the general statements I can find go along the lines of 'New postgraduate pre-registration nursing, midwifery and allied health professional students can access loans from the Student Loans Company'. For physiotherapy the pre-registration courses are at MSc level, which I wouldn't meet the entry criteria for as my first degree is not in a science subject. I would be trying to fund a BSc.ThanksDanielle

Hi Danielle,

Allied Health Professional courses and Postgraduate Healthcare courses are both classed as exception courses. We don't take into account any previous study.

Thanks, Erin
Reply 4
Hi Erin,Sorry to jump in on the thread but can you confirm the above applies to northern Ireland?I am in a similar position and have already competed an undergraduate degree and recieved an offer for speech and language therapy at the university of ulster (NI) - would I still be eligible to apply for student finance? Like diet 92 I have reached out to student finance NI and been told there's no funding available for a 2nd degree:/
Original post by SLT-92
Hi Erin,Sorry to jump in on the thread but can you confirm the above applies to northern Ireland?I am in a similar position and have already competed an undergraduate degree and recieved an offer for speech and language therapy at the university of ulster (NI) - would I still be eligible to apply for student finance? Like diet 92 I have reached out to student finance NI and been told there's no funding available for a 2nd degree:/

Hi there,

You would need to speak with Student Finance Northern Ireland for this as we wouldn't be able to advise what their eligibility is.

Thanks, Erin

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending