diet_92
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I need advice if whether or not I would be elegible for tuition fees funding /loan, if I'm studying dietetics as a second degree. I have an unconditional offer, but worried about funding . I already called Student finance and they said that I am entitled to nothing because I already have a degree.But, I've read that this course is funded and its an exemption. https://www.gov.uk/government/public...bursary-reform
Maybe is different for Northern Ireland? I am an EU national, but living in Northern Ireland for 4 years. I already have a degree in Biology, but hasn't been useful so far, so I want to study something else.
Thanks a lot!
Lynsey SFE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by diet_92)
Hi, I need advice if whether or not I would be elegible for tuition fees funding /loan, if I'm studying dietetics as a second degree. I have an unconditional offer, but worried about funding . I already called Student finance and they said that I am entitled to nothing because I already have a degree.But, I've read that this course is funded and its an exemption. https://www.gov.uk/government/public...bursary-reform
Maybe is different for Northern Ireland? I am an EU national, but living in Northern Ireland for 4 years. I already have a degree in Biology, but hasn't been useful so far, so I want to study something else.
Thanks a lot!
Hello,

As of 17/18 Academic Year Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health Professional (AHP) courses no longer receive a bursary funding from the NHS and will instead receive regular Student Finance England support.

Allied Health Professional Courses are healthcare courses. A full list of these types of courses can be found below;
• Chiropody
• Dietetics
• Dietetics and Nutrition
• Occupational Therapy
• Operating Department Practice(Diplomas and Degrees)
• Orthoptics
• Physiotherapy
• Podiatry
• Prosthetics and Orthotics
• Radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
• Radiotherapy
• Speech and Language Therapy

Allied Health Professional Courses are exempt from previous study and Equivalent Level Qualification rules, therefore if you already hold a degree or have previous study you will still be eligible to access funding.
I would suggest you discuss your query with Student Finance Northern Ireland, regarding there eligibility. http://ow.ly/AaEY30ok3Hh

Thanks, Lynsey.
wiggly_fish
Badges: 1
Report 2 years ago
Hi LynseyDoes that include undergraduate AHP courses? As a lot of the general statements I can find go along the lines of 'New postgraduate pre-registration nursing, midwifery and allied health professional students can access loans from the Student Loans Company'. For physiotherapy the pre-registration courses are at MSc level, which I wouldn't meet the entry criteria for as my first degree is not in a science subject. I would be trying to fund a BSc.ThanksDanielle
Erin SFE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by wiggly_fish)
Hi LynseyDoes that include undergraduate AHP courses? As a lot of the general statements I can find go along the lines of 'New postgraduate pre-registration nursing, midwifery and allied health professional students can access loans from the Student Loans Company'. For physiotherapy the pre-registration courses are at MSc level, which I wouldn't meet the entry criteria for as my first degree is not in a science subject. I would be trying to fund a BSc.ThanksDanielle
Hi Danielle,

Allied Health Professional courses and Postgraduate Healthcare courses are both classed as exception courses. We don't take into account any previous study.

Thanks, Erin
SLT-92
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi Erin,Sorry to jump in on the thread but can you confirm the above applies to northern Ireland?I am in a similar position and have already competed an undergraduate degree and recieved an offer for speech and language therapy at the university of ulster (NI) - would I still be eligible to apply for student finance? Like diet 92 I have reached out to student finance NI and been told there's no funding available for a 2nd degree:/
Erin SFE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SLT-92)
Hi Erin,Sorry to jump in on the thread but can you confirm the above applies to northern Ireland?I am in a similar position and have already competed an undergraduate degree and recieved an offer for speech and language therapy at the university of ulster (NI) - would I still be eligible to apply for student finance? Like diet 92 I have reached out to student finance NI and been told there's no funding available for a 2nd degree:/
Hi there,

You would need to speak with Student Finance Northern Ireland for this as we wouldn't be able to advise what their eligibility is.

Thanks, Erin
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (65)
29.82%
No (153)
70.18%

Watched Threads