People who were too young for a Brexit vote: how do you feel? Watch

iseesparksfly
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
respect her and her policies, even if I didnt agree with everything, a strong female icon in a previously less mixed parliament, the Iron Lady, a person people will remember for a number of generations..
If she was a man, would you feel the same?

To me, her gender has literally nothing to do with her horrible politics.
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by angelinahx)
Of course they'll complain. I'd complain.
I moved to London alone from a foreign country by the age of 16. I signed by own rental agreement at the age of 17 and I travelled and hitchhiked Europe alone at 17. I got my first full-time job at 16 and have worked part time alongside my studies since 16. I've paid tax into two government systems before I was eligible to vote and have a say on what my money should be spent on in either country.
I applied for universities without parental or teacher advice.
My parents are still there, supporting me all the way, but age does not determine independence/life experience. There are 25 year olds who still live at home with their parents.
I am not any more "independent" now when I was when I was 17, the only difference is that I can legally get smashed. I'm not more politically aware.
Not sure why you’ve quoted me?
iseesparksfly
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
I looked into this before. Giving 16-17 year olds the vote in 2016 would not have made a difference. And there should not be an upper limit on voting age.
It would have made a difference. It may not have swayed the vote, but it would have made a difference.
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by iseesparksfly)
If she was a man, would you feel the same?

To me, her gender has literally nothing to do with her horrible politics.
she was a woman, would matter less now, but give her credit for the sausage fest that was parliament then... even then levelheadedness, victory in the Falklands, moving toward a free market, the Iranian Embassy crisis... a model leader though agree she is divisive, unlike May *sigh*
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
What do you young people think of Margaret Thatcher?
A superb Prime Minister.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by iseesparksfly)
It would have made a difference. It may not have swayed the vote, but it would have made a difference.
When I said difference I meant to the result.
leahxfootball
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I definitely feel that it was unfair that the teenagers that will be the ones that will feel the effects of Brexit the most weren't allowed to vote even though 16 year olds could vote in the Scottish Referendum, so why weren't they allowed to vote then? They talk about not having enough youths engaged in Politics but when the opportunity to engage them came about, they did nothing to act on it.
Je suis Groot
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
What do you young people think of Margaret Thatcher?
I feel sorry for her, I mean look people took a desicision noone actually anticipated, For this the reason the previous PM left and Thatcher took over. She no choice but to do Brexit, If brexit does happen, then she wll have to leave beacuse she will lose a lot of votes, If brexit is cancelled, She still has to leave because she will still not receive enough votes to win the next election. I think she is a great candidate but in a bad place; She is like a candle in a vaccum, She cant do anything,
Je suis Groot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by leahxfootball)
I definitely feel that it was unfair that the teenagers that will be the ones that will feel the effects of Brexit the most weren't allowed to vote even though 16 year olds could vote in the Scottish Referendum, so why weren't they allowed to vote then? They talk about not having enough youths engaged in Politics but when the opportunity to engage them came about, they did nothing to act on it.
Actually according to lots of research, Brexit is really good beacause we will have higher paid jobs.
leahxfootball
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can I ask where this research is from? And in what sectors these jobs will be created in?
(Original post by Je suis Groot)
Actually according to lots of research, Brexit is really good beacause we will have higher paid jobs.
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by leahxfootball)
And in what sectors these jobs will be created in?
Boarder Customs
leahxfootball
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If this was a joke then well done got a laugh out of me, if not then yikes
(Original post by Reue)
Boarder Customs
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I feel sorry for her, I mean look people took a desicision noone actually anticipated, For this the reason the previous PM left and Thatcher took over. She no choice but to do Brexit, If brexit does happen, then she wll have to leave beacuse she will lose a lot of votes, If brexit is cancelled, She still has to leave because she will still not receive enough votes to win the next election. I think she is a great candidate but in a bad place; She is like a candle in a vaccum, She cant do anything,
Margaret is dead mate, you mean Theresa May
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You're thinking of Theresa May not Thatcher
Saturnians
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you fallen_acorns for making a reasoned, logical argument about the voting age.

To all the people arguing against (who, for the most part, appear to be those who were/are too young to vote), the types of responses you’re giving demonstrates precisely why there should be a minimum age restriction and precisely why it shouldn’t be something as ridiculously low as 14 or 16 (or 17, for that one person who conveniently thinks that the limit should be their age at the time of the vote).

Shouting about how older people “shouldn’t be allowed to vote” is absurd; as citizens they are entitled to vote, they have contributed significantly more to the state than younger people have throughout their lives, and they also have a wealth of life experience that younger people lack. Whether they make the ‘right’ decision or not is irrelevant, denying them the right to vote because a majority disagree with you is ludicrous. It’s tyrannical.

Regarding the outliers argument, I can only reiterate that just because some 16/17 year olds may be able to handle voting, policy has to be set with the average in mind and the vast majority could not. Whilst a meritocratic voting system does have some intellectual weight at least, in reality it is idealistic and arbitrary (what constitutes sufficient merit? Who decides?)

That one comment about “we 16 year olds should be able to vote on behalf of 14 year olds... they’re too immature” is just laughable. That’s precisely what’s happening now, with the limit set at 18+, the only difference being the vast majority of the latter group have at least finished education/are working, whilst 16 year olds are still just children who aren’t even out of school yet. Particularly when you’re young, your brain and maturity levels are still developing and new events (like going to uni, getting your first job etc) will have a big impact on your way of thinking and the issues you consider to be important. Listen to your own argument and let people who have actually had some life experience make decisions on your behalf, just as you advocated 16 year olds should do for 14 year olds.
Last edited by Saturnians; 1 month ago
CHANELDIAMONDS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
couldn’t give a ****.
angelinahx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i lol'd!
Fighter365
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Saturnians)
Thank you fallen_acorns for making a reasoned, logical argument about the voting age.

To all the people arguing against (who, for the most part, appear to be those who were/are too young to vote), the types of responses you’re giving demonstrates precisely why there should be a minimum age restriction and precisely why it shouldn’t be something as ridiculously low as 14 or 16 (or 17, for that one person who conveniently thinks that the limit should be their age at the time of the vote).

Shouting about how older people “shouldn’t be allowed to vote” is absurd; as citizens they are entitled to vote, they have contributed significantly more to the state than younger people have throughout their lives, and they also have a wealth of life experience that younger people lack. Whether they make the ‘right’ decision or not is irrelevant, denying them the right to vote because a majority disagree with you is ludicrous. It’s tyrannical.

Regarding the outliers argument, I can only reiterate that just because some 16/17 year olds may be able to handle voting, policy has to be set with the average in mind and the vast majority could not. Whilst a meritocratic voting system does have some intellectual weight at least, in reality it is idealistic and arbitrary (what constitutes sufficient merit? Who decides?)

That one comment about “we 16 year olds should be able to vote on behalf of 14 year olds... they’re too immature” is just laughable. That’s precisely what’s happening now, with the limit set at 18+, the only difference being the vast majority of the latter group have at least finished education/are working, whilst 16 year olds are still just children who aren’t even out of school yet. Particularly when you’re young, your brain and maturity levels are still developing and new events (like going to uni, getting your first job etc) will have a big impact on your way of thinking and the issues you consider to be important. Listen to your own argument and let people who have actually had some life experience make decisions on your behalf, just as you advocated 16 year olds should do for 14 year olds.
Most people I know would be mature enough to vote at 16
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Obolinda)
Feel insulted.. Lol, jk
erm..what? how old are you...?

(Original post by <nell>)
I'm not engaging in this discussion anymore...if you can even call it a discussion.
Just because I haven't explained my thoughts doesn't mean I'm unable to.
I'm fully aware of what Brexit is and it's implications. The fact that you've told me several times that I don't know what it is, gives me the impression that actually it's you who doesn't know what it is.
' politics is a big man's game ' I'm not even going to address that point … do you realise how that makes you sound?
Just taking an interest in politics isn't growing up too fast.

Thanks for the compliment about me being a 'good kid' and I'll take the advice on eating and revising.
adult posing as a 14 yr old spotted. nice try lol.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
No, it was based on the decision that they may not be around in 20/30 years time whereas there's a much better chance of me and my sister being around and living through the consequences of Brexit. I'm fairly sure they didn't have any strong feelings either way so voted on what they thought was best for my generation.

Obviously stopping older people from voting will never happen and logically can't really happen but it's still something to think about. Of course you can die at any age and some who are 70 (for example) at the moment will live until they're in their late 90s or even older. I do, however, agree with what you said in another comment about how young people half a century ago are different to those of today - why the voting age shouldn't be lowered.

And thanks for insulting my parents, much appreciated.
'grow some balls' - is hardly an insult, its just a rude way of saying 'toughen up a bit'

"so voted on what they thought was best for my generation" - that I have no problem at all with, if that's what they did then good for them. But that's very different from what you first said - which is they let you decide.

I think that parents and elderly people should vote in the best interests of future generations, but that doesn't mean letting future generations choose themselves. So in a real world example.. when moving house, parents should consider whats best for their children.. but they shouldn't let their children pick the house.

Elderly generations not considering the interests of the young, is an awful trend at the moment. Just look at the housing market to see how little of a **** older people are giving right now about young people. For me I just get frustrated when adults feel like the answer to this problem is to cede power to the kids, rather then the more rational approach of just being a bit more thoughtful and considerate towards other generations.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (136)
22.82%
The paper was reasonable (262)
43.96%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
18.12%
It was TERRIBLE (90)
15.1%

Watched Threads