The Student Room Group

All-male vs mixed student accomodation?

So, I'm a 20 y/o man going into first year at Dundee in September of this year. I know people at Dundee in 2nd and 3rd year, but none are living in halls, so I'll be trying to make completely new friends whilst I live in halls.

I'm swaying more towards an all-male apartment because I feel there's more chance I'll meet at least one or two other lads who are dead on since there'll be 5 to pick from. Whereas, if I go mixed, there'll probably be like 2 guys maximum to go on nights out with and they both may be nothing like me. Living mixed might make everything a bit more civilised, that's the only pro I can think of really.

Anyone been in this situation or have any experiences to share?

Thanks.
Original post by AWSloan
So, I'm a 20 y/o man going into first year at Dundee in September of this year. I know people at Dundee in 2nd and 3rd year, but none are living in halls, so I'll be trying to make completely new friends whilst I live in halls.

I'm swaying more towards an all-male apartment because I feel there's more chance I'll meet at least one or two other lads who are dead on since there'll be 5 to pick from. Whereas, if I go mixed, there'll probably be like 2 guys maximum to go on nights out with and they both may be nothing like me. Living mixed might make everything a bit more civilised, that's the only pro I can think of really.

Anyone been in this situation or have any experiences to share?

Thanks.

I know this was late but I was kind of in a similar dilemma to you. In my first year I lived in mixed halls with only 2 lads, and we were both pretty cool and we did go on nights out but it's not like we were tight knit, close friends or anything (and that's probably due to how you mentioned, that they are nothing like me or we just don't click ect…) so I don't know if that's the full answer you're looking for but I bet you're right. You would be more likely to find males you can click with if you went for an all male accommodation, and I might do that next year.

Quick Reply

Latest