sunflowerdream
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I wanted to make a new discussion for anyone sitting the Eduqas A Level Music Exam this year as my friend and I are struggling with it and I don’t think there are many schools out there doing this exam board? I did GCSE music, loved it and it went well but now with the A Level I’m just wondering if anyone else finds the eduqas listening exam super hard too as we are and the lack of past papers and resources is not exactly very helpful.
Last edited by sunflowerdream; 2 years ago
neverrevise
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I agree- they’re hard. To be fair there’s no real resources to revise from. I’m just going to hope for the best - how many of you do music, is it a profiling amount or not
miss-who
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm doing this exam board too. Hardly any resources
neverrevise
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It’s going to be a miracle if I pass the exam because of it what areas of study have you guys opted for?
miss-who
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
We had to do musical theatre in our class but I wanted to do jazz
miss-who
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
and then 20th century
neverrevise
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ohhh we done pop and rock and 20th - how do you feel about Debussy?
miss-who
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not too bad I quite like both Debussy and Poulenc it's just trying to remember everything. The essay question for Western Classical is more of a problem
neverrevise
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hmmm as long as you know the development briefly and mention set works with relevant points and not plain guesses. The essay should be fine
Millieh2211
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There's a really good resource called alevelmusic.com for 20th century and wct stuff. Its literally saved me!
neverrevise
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Who’s prepared for tomorrow lol
miss-who
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How did people find it? I thought the essay was good
neverrevise
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Didn’t really like it tbf 😯
Max1357913
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I thought the rock and pop was alright, but I'm annoyed because I knew Piano Man was either written at around 1970 or 80, and i put 80. It's 1973. The comparison was good though, because I mean, what wasn't different?!

I don't think I got the Poulenc key question right, but the rest was okay. Not sure how you get 2 marks out of the structure though, I just said it was section B in ternary form, and for the expressionist one, I couldn't decide between Celeste or Xylophone, and Monophonic or Contrapuntal. I put Celeste and Contrapuntal in the end though. The dictation was horrific, though, and I'll be surprised if I got more than 2/10, to be fair.
Last edited by Max1357913; 2 years ago
neverrevise
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I agree dictation was a nightmare I couldn’t decipher; most of mine were crotchets hahah and that’s definitely wrong. The Poulenc questions weren’t that nice and I put celeste and contrapuntal too. I’m grateful the essay question was nice tho. To be honest it’s not a nice exam board.

Pop and rock was the nicest section I’d say :/

Didn’t even like the Haydn questions to be honest- movement four meh

Do you think the ease boundaries will be lower than last year? I found last years paper easier than this years?
Max1357913
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I thought it was a bit easier than last year, but that’s only because I revised no Debussy and all Poulenc, thinking it surely had to be the Poulenc, which was a bad idea to be fair but it paid off in the end.

Also, I know more about Expressionism to Neoclassical, because of one of my old GCSE songs, so I found that okay I think. I got the word painting one I hope, and I was pleased with that because no one I’ve spoken too knew what it meant.

The dictation was bad like we’ve said, but I only got 3/10 in last years anyway, and I agree, the Haydn was bad. I knew basically nothing about the thematic material...

I reckon the boundaries’ll be about the same, maybe a little bit lower.
Last edited by Max1357913; 2 years ago
neverrevise
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah Haydn movement 4 we didn’t necessarily go into the thematic development of that to be honest. However the essay was a blessing we thought lol.

I have mixed thoughts about it all tbh.

I just hope compositions aren’t going to get roasted lol- got to hope for the best to be honest
neverrevise
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you want a laugh the question about the year of Billy Joel lol someone in my class wrote 1650, lmfao god knows what they were thinking hahah- still the best thing I’ve heard about the exam bahahahah
Max1357913
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What about the word that describes the structure of the sound of silence? I thought it might be strophic, but then I heard it and it definitely wasn’t, so I put mono-thematic, but I feel like that’s wrong.

My teacher roasted my compositions enough as I was writing them, so hopefully they were good in the end... I felt like my performance went well though, so that’s something at least
neverrevise
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I said through composed but that’s definitely wrong- I knew it was a changing accompaniment with similar vocals but I couldn’t think I had a mind blank lol. Oh well our compositions were constantly watched over but they never gave us a grade.

I’m not gonna lie we weren’t even taught all of pop and rock and we only learned movements 3 and 4 a month ago and that’s no lie. Our teachers were pretty.... allover lol

I put 1976 as the date of the Billy Joel one tho so hopefully that gets a mark haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (15)
31.91%
No (32)
68.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise