Any thoughts or opinions about the Computer Science department? Watch

Alessandro_Nerla
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I recieved offers from Southampton, Lancaster and Royal Holloway for Computer Science and I'm trying to decide my firm and insurance choice.
TSR_Ollie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

Why do I do this?

The Universities forums get a lot of questions that are unanswered. This is often because the OP's thread got missed - bumping threads gives them another lease of life and frequently results in someone seeing it and being able to respond

If you would like to help with unanswered questions check out the first part of the list here and don't forget the second part of the list here.

Or if you have questions, get in touch with Puddles the Monkey.
Alessandro_Nerla
Rep:
?
(Original post by TSR_Ollie)
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

Why do I do this?

The Universities forums get a lot of questions that are unanswered. This is often because the OP's thread got missed - bumping threads gives them another lease of life and frequently results in someone seeing it and being able to respond

If you would like to help with unanswered questions check out the first part of the list here and don't forget the second part of the list here.

Or if you have questions, get in touch with Puddles the Monkey.
Thank you for the bump 😁
Joe1000000
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Alessandro_Nerla)
I recieved offers from Southampton, Lancaster and Royal Holloway for Computer Science and I'm trying to decide my firm and insurance choice.
I've answered questions on this sort of area quite a few times before, so have a look back through this forum for any general questions, and after that if you have any more specific questions let me know.
CompSci1101
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Lancaster generally ranks well, but I'd say the better departments are at Southampton and Royal Holloway.

Southampton has been known to be incredible for CS for ages and out of the 3 probably have the better general CS course followed by Royal Holloway, where the department has the bonus of its expertise in cyber security (if you're interested in security?) and RH even have GCHQ certification for their BSc degree, whereas Southampton only have this for the MEng with the Cyber Security pathway.
Alessandro_Nerla
Rep:
?
(Original post by CompSci1101)
Lancaster generally ranks well, but I'd say the better departments are at Southampton and Royal Holloway.

Southampton has been known to be incredible for CS for ages and out of the 3 probably have the better general CS course followed by Royal Holloway, where the department has the bonus of its expertise in cyber security (if you're interested in security?) and RH even have GCHQ certification for their BSc degree, whereas Southampton only have this for the MEng with the Cyber Security pathway.
I actually am interested in Cyber Security and RHUL is pretty well known for their excellence in the field. How does Southampton compare to RHUL for Cyber Security, other than not having a BSc degree for that field?

From what I've read online Southampton is also pretty good for Cyber Security and one of the best for Computer Science.
CompSci1101
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I actually am interested in Cyber Security and RHUL is pretty well known for their excellence in the field. How does Southampton compare to RHUL for Cyber Security, other than not having a BSc degree for that field?

From what I've read online Southampton is also pretty good for Cyber Security and one of the best for Computer Science.
Oh really! Nice!

Yes, I'd say RH is far better for Cyber Security, they've had a history of excellence in the field for some time. I currently work as a Cyber Security Engineer and many of the Senior Engineers and Managers that I have worked with have studied (and had companies pay for) Information Security at RH, I am also considering it for the MSc in Information Security even though I already have an MEng in Computing (Security & Reliability) from Imperial. RH has a truly excellent reputation in the info/cyber security sector. This is not to say that Southampton isn't good, it is, and in many respects it is better. However, for Cyber Security I think RH is the best place you can go.

You could always do undergrad at one and a masters at another if you are truly torn with your decision? - Saying this I'd recommend RH for the BSc Computer Science (Information Security) degree as this is one of the only Bachelors degree that holds the certification and probably better than Southampton for Cyber Security even if you take the MEng at Southampton.

Good luck with your decision!
Alessandro_Nerla
Rep:
?
(Original post by CompSci1101)
Oh really! Nice!

Yes, I'd say RH is far better for Cyber Security, they've had a history of excellence in the field for some time. I currently work as a Cyber Security Engineer and many of the Senior Engineers and Managers that I have worked with have studied (and had companies pay for) Information Security at RH, I am also considering it for the MSc in Information Security even though I already have an MEng in Computing (Security & Reliability) from Imperial. RH has a truly excellent reputation in the info/cyber security sector. This is not to say that Southampton isn't good, it is, and in many respects it is better. However, for Cyber Security I think RH is the best place you can go.

You could always do undergrad at one and a masters at another if you are truly torn with your decision? - Saying this I'd recommend RH for the BSc Computer Science (Information Security) degree as this is one of the only Bachelors degree that holds the certification and probably better than Southampton for Cyber Security even if you take the MEng at Southampton.

Good luck with your decision!
I'll probably go for a BSc at Southampton and, after that, decide where to go and what to study for my Master's.

I think that after 3 years of Uni I'll have a clearer image of what I want to specialize in. I know RHUL's BSc in Information Security is actually a Computer Science degree with a bit more stuff regarding Cyber Security but, in the case I don't want to work in that field after I finish my studies, I think that Southampton's CS degree would be a better choice.

Anyway, how was it like being a student at Imperial?

I would have tried getting in if it wasn't for the fact that they don't even consider applicants from my type of school (in Italy we have different types of schools).

If you don't mind me asking, did you get a place in ICL as an undergraduate or did you go there for your MEng?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Lancaster University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
  • Lancaster University
    Sat, 13 Jul '19
  • Lancaster University
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (376)
37.49%
No - but I will (76)
7.58%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (480)
47.86%

Watched Threads