Lu-x
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Can someone please tell me the key differences between these two?
yemil
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I was wondering the same!

I hate life after death! I don't have a clue how to structure any of the essays at all. Any tips?
Lu-x
Rep:
?
Well I just know I am gonna finish off with Hick's eschatological verification idea, that we will only ever know the truth if we are still conscious after death!
Lu-x
Rep:
?
I have found a good bit of info on rebirth and reincarnation:
http://www.geocities.com/dharmawood/..._v_rebirth.htm

I like the dominoes idea
missygeorgia
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Reincarnation-
we have a soul
that soul will go into another body after we die

Rebirth (assuming you mean buddhist view) -
we have no soul/self, we are just a collection of parts
these parts will continue to exist after we die but will not be collected together

That's how we learned it anyway.
lottie123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Reincarnation is the belief that after death the soul will enter into another body. Hindu's believe that the karma we generate through our actions in this life will determine the kind of body we will enter in the next life. If you generate good karma your soul will be incarnated into a being of a higher status and vice versa if you generate bad karma. The important thing to remember is that there will be no recollection of the previous life and this point is used as a criticism against the reincarnation concept. How can it be proved correct? Believers would argue that rare cases of memories of a past life/deja vu act as evidence for reincarnation.

Rebirth is similiar to resurrection. The body and soul are one and cannot survive without the other. John Hick's Replica Theory is a good example of this as well as the Christian concept of Resurrection. The difference is Hick believes everybody will be reborn, immediatly after death whereas Christians postulate that we must first be judged and at the end of time resurrection will occur.
zzzzzoe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
the key difference between rebirth and reincarnation is that for buddhists, nothing of our identity survives into the next life. our soul and body are dependent on each other and both die when our material selves die. our material selves may continue to form other entities however. hence, "rebirth". and ultimate "salvation", or nirvana, is obtained by realisation of this impermenance as humans on earth. there is no purpose or afterlife, its just a karmic ripple of cause and effect.
(note, buddhists dont really use the term "soul". its just "self".)

for hindus, its a bit different. our karma has more meaning and will determine the body we are reborn as in the next life, depending on how well we perform our duty or "dharma". *do your dharma to get good karma so you wont get reborn as a Lhamma!*
our souls are eternal in contrast to rebirth and will continue to transmigrate to other bodies until we achieve liberation from this cycle of "samsara" (the mundane empirical universe) as moksha. moksha is like nirvana but means very different things within hinduism as there is no single orthodoxy. you dont need to go into that for the LAD question though...
our soul (or atman) is the spark of divinity within humans, although it is unclear what of our identity continues to the next life. evidence for what is known as the "subtle body" (individual traits that "stick" to the soul and pass on to the next life) are mentioned above in lotties comments ^

the main key difference is just that for buddhists, nothing of our "self" will survive death.
harryharryharry
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
can they ask specifically on a topic within life after death in the question?
like, "analyse and evaluate blablabla to do with reincarnation and resurrection?

or will we always be able to choose which ones we compare?
sunburnt_note
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by harryharryharry)
can they ask specifically on a topic within life after death in the question?
like, "analyse and evaluate blablabla to do with reincarnation and resurrection?

or will we always be able to choose which ones we compare?
No, on the specimen paper they ask you to contrast reincartion and immortality of the soul - I think on the whole they choose, but I'm not certain.
yemil
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I thought that on the whole they let you choose. I have quite a number of past questions and there are 3 where you can pick and just 1 where they give it to you.

I'm trying to compare reincarnation and resurrection, but it seems quite tricky and I'm confusing myself..
- Bodily continuity is lost in both? Reincarnation involves transmigration of the soul so it's a dualist view, but resurrection involves a spiritual body and man is a pyscho-physical entity. Is this right?
- Reincarnation happens all the time, resurrection will only happen at 'the end of time'.
..arggh!?

I thought in rebirth, the person was made up of a body and mental elements. When the body dies, the character aspects of the dead person are reborn into a new person? Is this wrong?
jcraven98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hey! my teacher gave us a good structure for the "compare and contrast 2 types" question; intro: define LaD, name the 4 types and give a brief description, identify the two you've chosen; 1. outline the 1st; 2. outline the second; 3. give similarities; 4. give differences; conclusion: convincing but not uncontested or opposed, for some they lack credibility, quote from a scholar

hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.14%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (30)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (30)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (27)
14.84%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (49)
26.92%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.13%

Watched Threads