anactualmess
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
"Many drugs work by a molecule of the active ingredient binding with a receptor or the active site of an enzyme. Because receptors have a 3D structure, only one of a pair of optical isomers will fit. In some cases, one optical isomer is an effective drug and the other is inactive"

If only one enantiomer can bind with the receptor, how do some drugs have both enantiomers taking effect? E.g. in thalidomide both the S-form which caused birth defects and the R from which was a safe sedative took effect? Or was it only the S-from that was active? I'm confused.
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There may be more than one type of receptor in the body? One may only accept the R form, another the S form. Some receptors are more forgiving of shape than others?
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by anactualmess)
"Many drugs work by a molecule of the active ingredient binding with a receptor or the active site of an enzyme. Because receptors have a 3D structure, only one of a pair of optical isomers will fit. In some cases, one optical isomer is an effective drug and the other is inactive"

If only one enantiomer can bind with the receptor, how do some drugs have both enantiomers taking effect? E.g. in thalidomide both the S-form which caused birth defects and the R from which was a safe sedative took effect? Or was it only the S-from that was active? I'm confused.
In the case of thalidomide, enantiomers reacted in vivo producing a racemic mixture, so it did not matter if you were only taking the "safe" enantiomer, the teratogenic form was always produced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racemization
anactualmess
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by charco)
In the case of thalidomide, enantiomers reacted in vivo producing a racemic mixture, so it did not matter if you were only taking the "safe" enantiomer, the teratogenic form was always produced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racemization
so both enantiomers were active? "Because receptors have a 3D structure, only one of a pair of optical isomers will fit" can you please help me clarify this statement, of course there is more than one type of receptor in the body so I understand the two different enantiomers could bind to two different receptors, but the way the textbook phrases it it makes it seem that there is only one target receptor and so only one enantiomer, the one which is complementary to that receptor, will be active? I know I am probably just interpreting this wrong, please help
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by anactualmess)
so both enantiomers were active? "Because receptors have a 3D structure, only one of a pair of optical isomers will fit" can you please help me clarify this statement, of course there is more than one type of receptor in the body so I understand the two different enantiomers could bind to two different receptors, but the way the textbook phrases it it makes it seem that there is only one target receptor and so only one enantiomer, the one which is complementary to that receptor, will be active? I know I am probably just interpreting this wrong, please help
No.
You didn't read it carefully.

ONLY ONE of the enantiomers is teratogenic (caused deformity the unborn foetus), HOWEVER the other enantionmer undergoes racemization once inside the body, FORMING both enantiomers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (70)
12.13%
Virtual campus tours/open days (141)
24.44%
Live streaming events (50)
8.67%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (54)
9.36%
A uni comparison tool (134)
23.22%
An in-person event when available (128)
22.18%