History America USA Watch

sara.alii2694
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I am doing OCR America and have stumbled upon a tricky question from 2013...'Assess the importance of the actions of Native Americans themselves in gaining greater civil rights in the period 1865 to 1992'. I am struggling to use a thematic approach because it is hard to use social, economic and political for this particular question.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by sara.alii2694)
I am doing OCR America and have stumbled upon a tricky question from 2013...'Assess the importance of the actions of Native Americans themselves in gaining greater civil rights in the period 1865 to 1992'. I am struggling to use a thematic approach because it is hard to use social, economic and political for this particular question.
Is this an essay you are doing or you are just looking through past papers.
You normally have a choice of questions.
Make 1-2 pages of notes unless you want it to be a prepared choice.
Do the research and prepare the structure before with a mind map or timeline.

Rather than thematic use a timeline and within that look at rights, actions, events and legislation.

The focus is the measure of gaining or not gaining civil rights during the time period. Had a look and theres enough information there. Dont try and make an essay fit a plan, of its a poor fit but be flexible , adapt and think on your feet so you remain focused on the question.
TeaAndToast22
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Is this an essay you are doing or you are just looking through past papers.
You normally have a choice of questions.
Make 1-2 pages of notes unless you want it to be a prepared choice.
Do the research and prepare the structure before with a mind map or timeline.

Rather than thematic use a timeline and within that look at rights, actions, events and legislation.

The focus is the measure of gaining or not gaining civil rights during the time period. Had a look and theres enough information there. Dont try and make an essay fit a plan, of its a poor fit but be flexible , adapt and think on your feet so you remain focused on the question.
This! Spot on!

I did a joint honours degree, including History. I had the same issue with questions at your age because I would attempt to mould the question into what the socio, economic, political agenda was... in this sense, it was rather dire and robust.

Often when I write these types of essays, I create a mindmap with vital points/events and then cluster this into another header, eventually creating three/four points with evidence and source work, etc etc.

Worked for me! I did American History for a module so I could offer a good answer to this but it is better to work it yourself - this way you learn but happy to check your points.

Start with the question, what does it ACTUALLY mean?

Basically, explain how important the actions of Native Americans were within that timeline and assess, so really look into the cause/effects of it.
Gigi.notHadid
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'd do land for one paragraph thematically because that is the main right (along with self-determination) that Native Americans wanted. Self-determination could go in political? Within land you can talk about Supreme Court cases in the 1980s and with the Plains Wars at the start of the period.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 25 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Who do you think will be the next PM?