The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bob9001
Anyone do gcse economics?
I don't know many other people that do it!
What are your predicted grades? Do you find it hard/difficult?

I am going to start my revision for it soon!:smile:

Yep i do it! Our school has just started teaching the course this year. I'm predicted A* but they're still bloody difficult to get. I'm going to revise in week preceding the exam - got no other exams at that time.

It's difficult and challenging but by no means impossible - it requires creativity and thinking on the spot whilst also having one eye on the clock.

Hows it going for you?
Reply 2
Cool yeah i really enjoy it, I'm glad I took it. Are you taking it for A level?

I'm predicted A* and I really hope I'll get it! I got 96% in the mock which surprised me because I ran out of time!
Reply 3
bob9001
Cool yeah i really enjoy it, I'm glad I took it. Are you taking it for A level?

I'm predicted A* and I really hope I'll get it! I got 96% in the mock which surprised me because I ran out of time!

Yep taking it for A level.

They give us 150mins to do the exam, but really that isnt enough. To include diagrams etc everywhere is time consuming but i just hope that i can write fast in the exam.

Its annoying they dont put up more past papers on the internet though.

Anything you find particularly difficult?

What are your choices next year? Uni preferences?
Reply 4
Yeah 150 mins isn't really enough, and I always ask for extra paper in economics tests, and everyone looks at me and gives me dirty looks haha

I'm not really a big fan on all that stuff about the balance of payements and the current account, its preety boring.

I'm taking Maths, further maths, economics, french and maybe hist/bio/chem for a 5th, and hopefully economics at cambridge after a levels! u?
Reply 5
bob9001
Yeah 150 mins isn't really enough, and I always ask for extra paper in economics tests, and everyone looks at me and gives me dirty looks haha

I'm not really a big fan on all that stuff about the balance of payements and the current account, its preety boring.

I'm taking Maths, further maths, economics, french and maybe hist/bio/chem for a 5th, and hopefully economics at cambridge after a levels! u?

Ditto and ditto lol !!
Reply 6
haha wow thats wierd

are you predicted all A*'s?
Reply 7
bob9001
haha wow thats wierd

are you predicted all A*'s?

lol yes, are you?
Reply 8
lol yep!
i'm quite worried i won't get them though!
Reply 9
bob9001
lol yep!
i'm quite worried i won't get them though![/QUOTE]

Ditto!!
Wow we're basically the same.
you guys are all so lucky you got to do economics at gcse level, i didnt even know it existed ay gcse.
Good luck bob9001 and MarcusLL. :smile:
I did AQA GCSE Economics and I now have an offer to study Economics at Cambridge; hopefully I'll be seeing you guys in a couple of years. :biggrin:
Reply 12
dancingshoes10
you guys are all so lucky you got to do economics at gcse level, i didnt even know it existed ay gcse.

It is by all means a demanding and rigorous subject that is enjoyable. However, due to its difficulty at GCSE level in particular it can be one of those GCSEs that you end up not getting the grade you wanted even if you're good at it.

Its fun - i definitely suggest you do it next year!
Reply 13
I think it's quite a rare GCSE, but my school has been doing it for about 4 years I think.

I'm grateful they offered it because I wouldn't have known how much I enjoyed it if I hadn't have taken it at GCSE.
Reply 14
alex_hk90
Good luck bob9001 and MarcusLL. :smile:
I did AQA GCSE Economics and I now have an offer to study Economics at Cambridge; hopefully I'll be seeing you guys in a couple of years. :biggrin:

lol ye!!

I just looked at your sig - it must be weird putting LSE economics as an insurance?
Good luck at uni.

- Just looked at your AS module marks - !!! thats impressive. 581 in maths!
Reply 15
alex_hk90

cool thanks and well done on getting an offer :biggrin:

what A levels are you taking? and what did you get at gcse?:P
Reply 16
bob9001
cool thanks and well done on getting an offer :biggrin:

what A levels are you taking? and what did you get at gcse?:P

his profile. - its pretty impressive to say the least.
Reply 17
Oh and one question for Alex_hk90 -did you have to put down your module scores when applying? Thanks
Reply 18
wow yeah i've just looked at his profile!
those are impressive marks!
bob9001
I'm grateful they offered it because I wouldn't have known how much I enjoyed it if I hadn't have taken it at GCSE.

Same here; at my school they do the Economics GCSE as a one year course in Year 11 if you do fast French (the GCSE in Year 10).
If it wasn't for that I would have done Spanish as my French wasn't that good. :redface:

MarcusLL
I just looked at your sig - it must be weird putting LSE economics as an insurance?
Good luck at uni.

It was a little weird putting LSE as an insurance, but it was the only other place I would realistically want to go to. And thank you. :smile:

MarcusLL
- Just looked at your AS module marks - !!! thats impressive. 581 in maths!

Thanks, but I was a little disappointed with my Maths as I lost 10 of those 19 UMS on one single module. :s-smilie:

bob9001
cool thanks and well done on getting an offer :biggrin:P

You're welcome and thank you. :smile:

MarcusLL
Oh and one question for Alex_hk90 -did you have to put down your module scores when applying? Thanks

On the UCAS form (sent to all universities) I put down module grades, for Cambridge only I had to put down module scores.