The Student Room Group

physics cie alevel p41 2018 doubt

for question 2 part (b) ie the table . in the last row where we are asked to calculate the thermal energy supplied to system i got -55 J and where they asked to calculate increase in internal energy of gas i calculated by = heat energy supplied + work done which is -55+37= 18 J.. but markscheme says -55J for increase in internal energy and -92 for heat energy.. doesn't make sense at all to me.. Could someone pleease help me out??
Original post by SyedShah263
for question 2 part (b) ie the table . in the last row where we are asked to calculate the thermal energy supplied to system i got -55 J and where they asked to calculate increase in internal energy of gas i calculated by = heat energy supplied + work done which is -55+37= 18 J.. but markscheme says -55J for increase in internal energy and -92 for heat energy.. doesn't make sense at all to me.. Could someone pleease help me out??

Assume that you are referring to 2018 Nov P41 Q2.

As you are referring to the last row of the table, I would believe that you have calculate the increase in internal energy for change P Q and change Q R, respectively.

Since it is cyclic process, the change in internal energy for PQRP is zero,

ΔUP Q + ΔUQ R + ΔUR→ P = 0

Using this relationship, you should be able to get an increase in internal energy to be ‒54.5 J.
Using the first law of thermodynamics,

ΔUR→ P = Q + W

‒54.5 = +37.0 + W

You should get the answer stated by the MS.

Quick Reply

Latest